Safest Way To Divide A Tank?

just another reference for ya. I have an all in one system, so my filter is in the middle of the tank (only fits that way with the hood). You can see in the pics below that i bent it around to give an eve amount of space for both fish.

Also the tank has a lip. I just cut the 90 degree angle out and measured so that divider would fit in there nice and snug underneath the lip on the tank. The upper part of the divider leaves only a 1/8" gap to the cover of the tank. even without a cover though, the divider is much higher than a betta could jump. keeping water levels a bit low is certainly a solution if you have a different setup.

This is a store bought divider, but I wouldn't recommend it due to price. Also, at the time i was concerned about the bettas always seeing eachother so i sanded it with high grit sandpaper so it wasn't transparent. They still catch shadows and see each other a bit and have "flare-offs".... but you certainly don't need to have an opaque divider..... i just thought it would be a good idea at the time.

dsc00209bj4.jpg

top view so you can see the cuts and bend
dsc00228za9.jpg

only bonus with the store bought divider is it came with clips that hold the divider tight against the glass. nice alternative to having to glue and helps a flexed divider stay in place.

These are old pics. I have this tank filled with gravel now and buried the divider in it.

Just a little different setup than what other people have posted so you have some more ideas :)

Thanks.......The dividers are just cut up plastic file folders with holes drilled in.

Babies like bright colours Daz......didn't you know that......it stimulates their senses :p :p

netty, how after you drill the holes, did you not have little plastic shards sticking out? before I tryed the needlepoint backing I used that, and had to spend an hour....well ok my husband spent an hour shaving off all the sharp bits.

my divided has 6 diverent color binder spines....because the multi pack was .99 cents for 6 while the all black ones were 2.99 for 3.

I cant argue with practicality, thus my downstairs tanks are kinda odd looking.

After drilling the holes you can bend the plastic over your knee and we use a very sharp stanley knife to cut off any sharp bits (abit like shaving) :good:

They are a bit bright but it cheers the tanks up a bit :lol:

what are you using to hold them in them black things do they come with the file folders? might have to try make some on my tank

The black binders were bought separately and don't cost very much. They've been siliconed in place and then left overnight to dry before adding any water. The silicone does come off using a razor blade quite cleanly if you ever want to change the set up :good:

the are plastic report spines...the ones you slide on the plastic covers for reports. very cheap at walmart.

They look like they have a flatter edge so would be fine to use those and just cut them to size :good:

those look right, and I am not good with the british curancy system, but a pack of 50 for that cost is pretty good correct?

Yea it looks a good price. I looked at another supplier and they were £7.99 for 25 so this little lot will last for years :good:

yeah i might order some what size tanks do you think they fit best 8 10 12 or 15" guessing 10" if they are A4 size, doubt they would fit my 15"wide tank but hopefully planning on getting a 2-3 foot to divide

Most reactions

Back