Safe Products For Cleaning Inside Of Tank?

RobberyinCSharp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there
I know it's not safe to use windex and/or soap to clean the inside of a fishtank. What about white distilled vinegar? Would that work? And then rinse it with hot water?

Yeah, vinegar should be fine. I've used it before. I've also heard of people using 1/10 bleach&water solution. I'm sure it's fine but I'd be sure to rinse it out a few times at least.

The tanks empty right?

Just about anything will work with an empty tank :) I use 1:2 bleach:water in a spray bottle and a scrubber pad, rinse to remove debris then let air dry. No problems, and ive cleaned MANY tanks this way.

Im not certain if this is an issue, but does vinegar evaporate or dry and then reconstitute when it comes in contact with water? Could be a pH problem in the future if vinegar doesn't evaporate 100%.

I would stick to hot water, vinegar, lemon juice (good for limescale, those two) and salt. I wouldn't use any proprietory glass cleaners, like Windex, soap or Mr muscle or anything like that; they may leave residues that could affect your fish in the future.

Vinegar is great for removing limescale. Try to use white vinegar if you can get your hands on it as it is less likely to stain and tends to be cheaper. If you cant find it - the same malt vineger you put on your chips will work fine.

Else you can get limescale removers for kettles and cofee makers. tip some into a cup and use a paint brush to aopply it where needed. - that will wash out too with plenty of warm water and some elbow grease.

For the rest of the glass - Bleach is great. A thin bleach is less likely to foam up and be a pain. Use some of that diluted down and give the glass a good splash around. When done and you have emptied the bleach out and rinsed with warm water. use some warm water and add a good tripple dose of dechlorinator (or more) Bleach is basically chlorine and a good swish around of dechlorinator and water will tackle any remaining bleach.

If the tank kas fish in it - just scrape the inside of the glass with the sharp edge of a NEW stanly knife blade. (old blades may scratch the glass!)

Most reactions

Back