Running a Nano WITHOUT a skimmmer or filtration

kitties1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am researching the logistics and requirements of setting up a nano reef. I really just want a few corals and maybe one fish and a shrimp or two, nothing too crazy. I have read many of the posts here and it seems that the general opinion is that a nano is a no-no for a beggining marine aquarist. (I have been working with freshwater for a long time and have no problems with my tanks.) On other forums, and through some of the other research I have done, I have found opposing information to what is recommended here. I have found, and been told by my very reliable LFS marine biologist, that a nano is not necessarily a bad idea for a beginner. As long as I don't try to go crazy with introducing new fish and livestock, etc. Also, and the point of my main question, I have found some research to suggest that I would not need a protein skimmer or filtration system to maintain the tank...the live rock and adequate weekly water changes would maintain balance. I know this sounds crazy, so I am continuing my reserach before making a decision. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks for your help.

**edited for spelling**

ALthough its possible to run without a skimmer, why place the tank and its inhabitants under threat by not using one? A skimmer for this size of tank would not cost a great deal and raelly would make a difference on a tank this size.

I had a ten gallon nano with no skimmer and a marineland bio wheel 125, ran just fine for 2 years. Then I got a 65 gallon tanks and moved everything. I had some xenia, zoos, kolts for coral. A clown and damsel, few snails and crabs and a rock anemone.

I run a 5 gallon salt with nothing but the HOB filter that came with the tankand a small heater. It has no skimmer and is doing just fine, It doesn't have the lighting to be a "true" nano reef but I have a good sized piece of LR lots of LR rubble LS and a shrimp a few various snails ,an urchin, and a domino damsel in there and all are doing fine for five months now the only thing you have to do with a small tank is to be vigilant with top offs and water changes. I do a 30 % change every week . It is also easy to over feed the tank so use care there too . Personally I think a nano is a good way to learn the "science" of salt water fish keeping, without investing a small fortune. I also have a 125 gallon tank that I run a skimmer rated for a 60 gallon tank on and it has done quite well with that for some time . I do have Macro algae in both tanks and this helps to reduce the nutrients that a skimmer woould take out.

I have a ten gallon tank and I am just running a peguin powerhead 550 for 4 months now and everything is doin really well. I do a 10 percent water change every week. IMO since the tank is so small and as long as u change ur water there is no need for a skimmer for a small tank.

I have a 55 gallon tank and I run a Bio Filter and Skimmer. I would hate to see what my tank would look like without both of them. Skimmer sure does pull out some nasty stuff. Bio Filter sponge has plenty of "Crap" to suggest that it is doing something for my tank aswell. Of cource if your one of those people that would like to change there water every week which means either making water or going out and getting water to change it with then I dont see a tomany problems with it. Except that your going to have to make sure to add trace elements to the tank. Maybe some Bio enhancer of some type. I dont think the Bio could keep up with that many water changes over a period of time. I do a water change once every 3 months. Of cource I clean the sponge often to keep nasty smell out of the tank. My opinion is that you need to atleast have a Bio Filteration system on your tank just to keep your Bio in good shape and to clean the water. That could be as simple as a Bio wheel or get a Fluval. The protein skimmer on the other hand is another question. There is alot of people out there saying you do need a protein skimmer and some say you do not. $65 for one that will handle up to 150 Gallons I could not see why not get one. The only thing bad about protein skimmers is that your taking other things out of your tank like calcium.

Hmm 5 & 10 gallon Saltwater tanks. I hear it's very difficult to run small saltwater tanks. I would love to give it a try and see if I can have some clown fish and whatnot. I'll need to read up on this before I give it a try.

Personally i would not attempt Clowns in a 10 gallons tank. Gobys are better suited for a tank this size. Perhaps a neon goby or Clown goby.

And yes they are more difficult than larger tanks. Things can go wrong very fast in small tanks and there is usually very little room for error.

Navarre said:
Personally i would not attempt Clowns in a 10 gallons tank. Gobys are better suited for a tank this size. Perhaps a neon goby or Clown goby.

And yes they are more difficult than larger tanks. Things can go wrong very fast in small tanks and there is usually very little room for error.
Agrees 100%
If you are going to do this, at least put a small power head in there to keep the water from going stagnent. Keep in mind also that if you are going to put corals in that most dont do well with out water flow. Makes it difficult for them to feed. Top the tank off every day and dont plan on going any place for a week end. Also watch your water temp. A tank that size can get quite warm, enducing a fever like state in the live stock.

The skimmer debate is always an interesting one.

Personnally, I skim. I did not for my first 18 months, and the I was shocked when I introduced a skimmer!!!

I fell like I may be introducing a health hazard to the municipal water treatment plant when I flush the stuff... :lol:

I do accept the skimmerless crowds argument on the removal of beneficial nutrients though. I am looking into a huge mangrove setup when I upgrade this winter.

GL

No skimmer on my 10 gal, no fuge either (yet). It has been up and running for almost 6 months. The only problem i have had is aiptasia. No losses what-so-ever. And my water quality couldn't be better. 1 gal weekly WCs are key!!

Most reactions

Back