Rotala Rotundifolia

Matty24

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So everywhere I read rotala rotundifolia is very easy to grow until now I've got really thought to much about its my tanks around 2-3 months old just letting it do its thing, today I was watching a few videos on rotala I thought my rotala has literally done nothing since its been planted ive maybe cut the stems once get a few runners off and replanted them am i missing a trick somewhere? I'm using aqua soil, co2 and dosing a sechums dosing schedule I have other stem plants such as Limnophila Sessiliflora, bacopa amplexicaulis, ludwigia which I'm cutting twice a week at times, vallisneria which is becoming out of control 😅 but yet the rotala rotundifolia is barely moving any tips or recommendations on how to speed things up would be great

Thanks

It could be struggling because its around a lot of other fast growing plants. Were the plants in emerged or submerged form when you added them? Are the leaves round and circular or more elongated and eliptical?

Wills

I have similar results. Too much stem and no red.

can you send a photo? it could be an emersed version of the plant that needs to transition into being submerged.

20220613_062534.jpg
20220613_062552.jpg

I did think about getting a new light, the light I'm using is still the light I got with the tank (aqua one horizon) when I bought it but lighting I have looked at other lights but I have no idea what I'm really looking for or what is best for what I have in my tank some people just use cheap ol lighting off amazon and have great results some say buy the best you can afford 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I believe this is the light that came with the tank if anyone has any recommendations of lights they use it would be much appreciated I've changed filter from the original aqua one that came with it and il always looking to upgrade for better results
Screenshot_20220614-065000_eBay.jpg

Looks fine to me. IF you want it to be red,then yes more light.

I was just expecting it to be growing alot faster from when I've watched and read its 1 of the first plants I planted and I've only trimmed it maybe 3 times in 3 months only a handful of stems almost reaching the surface the trimmings I've replanted and they seem to stay around 6inch tall

Try adding iron. It's the ultimate water plant boost.

I am currently dosing 3ml of iron 3 times a week maybe I should try upping the dosage?

Why not? If the fish show no problems- the more iron the better for plants. They say iron stimulates the red color cells in the plants to turn color. Not sure if that's exactly true- but Iron for plants is something they absorb greedily.

How much are we talking what is a suitable increase in your experience, I'm still very new to the hobby so I'm absorbing as much info as I can get

Double. IF fish show any bad reaction,make a water change fast. If they show nothing..then plants will. Growth that is.

Most reactions

Back