Rorie's Fish House Project

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So, i have a new house! I have been here since November and i have now started work on my fish room! Currently my tanks are in the room which will become my dining room which creates a couple issues:

1) My ear is getting nipped about getting the fish out of there so it can be used as a dining room haha
2) The humidity is causing issues already! Its 90% humidity just now, so i got a big kick #16##### dehumidifier which sucks the water out he air like crazy!

I have a double garage. But not side by side, instead, back to back. I going to convert the whole of the back into a floored, walled and roofed room. I will then box off a corner which will become the fish room.

I have holidays left from work, so have taken off every friday for the next few weeks so that i have (theoretically) 3 days of working on the project very week. However, with the usual other chores life gives i am normally only going to get one and a half days work done!

I will do a week by week update on here.

Unfortunately, I don't do things by halves! For example, i needed to clear the room, so rather than just clearing it, i spent a long time organising the cleared stuff at the other end!

Got some catching up to do, so here are a couple updates already :)

Hope you enjoy and can maybe get some ideas/give me ideas. Ask questions and help me out :)

Week 1

So here is my garage (well, the back part of it).

Task 1)

Move all burning wood! But, i decided to build a wood shelter. Online these cost about £150 for a 1x0.5x1m shelter. Sack that! haha. I decided to build big! I used all the old treated wood that was left in the garage when we moved in. It was a bit of a job to work out what wood was rotted past use, what bits could be used where etc. But here is the end product. The only wood i bought was for the roof. I got a quote to build one this big.... £600!!! I made this for £60 haha

fish-1.jpg

fish-2.jpg

fish-3.jpg

Not bad, eh

Task 2)

There is a large concrete platform where the old oil tank used to be. I had to smash it to bits. But, much to my dislike, after smashing through the 6 inch of cement, i had hoped it would be soil....no no, endless amounts of huge bricks! It took a while, but i got there eventually!

fish-1a.jpg

fish-4a.jpg

Week 2

Task 1) Move all my dry wood through to the other side of the garage and stack it all nicely haha
Task 2) Move all my tools etc next door too

fish-2a.jpg

fish-6.jpg

Task 3) Cut and split 2 tonne of wood, then stack it in my new shelter (a whole days work!!)

store.jpg

Task 4)

Move all the rest of the rubbish out of the room, clean up and prep for the big build next week!

fish-7.jpg

fish-8.jpg

Enjoying so far bud. Looking forward to the rest.

Endless possibilites... you luckyyyy man! Where did you move too :) looks a very large house. You could have left the concrete base platform thing as mentioned earlier and put yourself a nice big tank on it :p

Couple of layers of polystyrene and had a monster tank in the corner.

Still, have you any designs as of such? Im gunna guess you have lol if its a on the whim thing then thats just awesome lol.

I could just dream of cladding the walls then some pvc sheets the full length to finish it off oooo weeee :drools:

Great stuff up to now, and after seeing just your wood shelter, you seem very nifty with building so hey KEEP THEM PICTURES COMING!

Paul

I thought about using the concrete block, but it will just get in the way. By removing it, i have a blank canvas. Next thing is to construct my 6x2 flooring. I will no doubt use the blocks from the concrete base to support the tanks in what ever corner they go in :)

I have plans....in my head haha. Building the place is simple - nothing special there other than more insulation than normal and including lots of electrics and drainage. The corner that will become the fish room will need to be waterproofed from the inside and vented. I am looking at videos, visiting friends etc and putting together a system i think will work best :)

nice one, looks like you dont need to do as much as many others with a solid build like that. Only really the roof needing most of your attention, everything below it is probably quite simples. Keep up with the updates, will be following :D

The roof is asbestos *GASP!* but its in perfect condition, so no need to remove it. I'll build a flat roof inside the garage so that i have a nice cube inside. The flat roof will then be insulated and floored so that i then have storage room upstairs too :) Happy days!

£270 of wood is getting delivered on Friday....let the build begin!

yeh good plan, could get a decent sized extractor fan hidden away up there too in case you find the room boiling hot in the summer.

yeh good plan, could get a decent sized extractor fan hidden away up there too in case you find the room boiling hot in the summer.

Haha, I live in the north of scotland.... its never boiling hot :p And this building has 1 foot deep stone walls, so NO chance that it will get boiling hot haha. But nice thought anyway :p

Will look great was finished im sure - my gf's uncle has built a fish room extension on to his house & is not far from finished.. looks really good... shall follow this thread, good luck with it :good:

I can't wait to see how your room turns out.. looks great so far :)

I know how cold it is in the North of Scotland lol.. I'm in Elgin :-(

Most reactions

Back