Rocks For Tank

JimmyMature

Reaction score
Hi guys, who can suggest a good place to get good rocks without the crazy prices that come from getting them from the LFS? Going to the sea isn't an option for me.

Do places like garden centres, builders merchants etc. sell the sort of stuff I will be putting in my Mbuna set-up?

Thanks guys,

Jim

if you can,avoid garden centers that sell tropical fish lol...they usually keep the best (best looking for aquariums anyway) in the aquatics departments so they can charge more.
also try n buy as much of the rock you want in 1 go...i recently bought some nice rock from a place,they were charging £4 for medium size rocks...and £9 for large,and i mean lard rocks... went back a few days later and suddenly everythign changed...they were now weighing them by the kg lol...i guess he knew id be back so he decided it was rippoff time.

Whatever rocks you buy dont forget to do the vinagar test...drip some vinarag on the rock..if it fizzes its no good, if it doesnt then tis good....and dont forget to give anything you buy a damn good scrub/clean :)

Thanks, I wasnt going to get the fish from the Garden Centre, i'll be getting them from my local Maidenhead Aquatics.

I was hoping that I could get some cheap rocks from a place that doesn't bump up the price just because they know what I want them for :shout:

Thanks again for the tips

if you can,avoid garden centers that sell tropical fish lol...they usually keep the best (best looking for aquariums anyway) in the aquatics departments so they can charge more.
also try n buy as much of the rock you want in 1 go...i recently bought some nice rock from a place,they were charging £4 for medium size rocks...and £9 for large,and i mean lard rocks... went back a few days later and suddenly everythign changed...they were now weighing them by the kg lol...i guess he knew id be back so he decided it was rippoff time.

Whatever rocks you buy dont forget to do the vinagar test...drip some vinarag on the rock..if it fizzes its no good, if it doesnt then tis good....and dont forget to give anything you buy a damn good scrub/clean :)

Thanks for that Bit.Fishy thats great advice!! I am looking around for rock exactly like JimmyMature and looking to get it on the cheap from a builders merchant or somewhere similar. Never knew about the vinegar test :hyper: and I have looked around for advice on getting rocks on this forum.

Cheers :good:

Thanks for that Bit.Fishy thats great advice!! I am looking around for rock exactly like JimmyMature and looking to get it on the cheap from a builders merchant or somewhere similar. Never knew about the vinegar test :hyper: and I have looked around for advice on getting rocks on this forum.

Cheers :good:

I found this linky on the forum, it has a few full set-ups including the type of rocks they have used and most cases where they were aquired from.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=169788

Jim

Just wanted to add that the vinegar test really doesn't apply to african cichlid (or other hard-water) tanks. The vinegar reacts to calcium in the rock, which can raise your ph/kh. (Think vinegar and baking soda). That's considered undesirable in a "standard" community or soft-water tank, but is excellent for keeping a hard-water tank stable. :good:

Hi

Just wondering if these concrete stepping stones would be ok to put in my tank after a good clean.

31012009433.jpg
[/img]

Thanks

Mike

only if you want a ph of around 7.5-8 (ideal for cichlids)
also be sure there are no additional colourants in the concrete as you do know what
chemicals were used to colour it.

Most reactions

Back