Ricordea...

Hi, I am getting one tomorrow, not a turky baster but a Ricordea. Where is the best locaion to put it? IN the book is confusing saying "are found in diverse locations". Many thanks

Brilliant...but be warned...RICS CAN BE ADDICTIVE !!!!!!!..lol
Start it low down and out of too strong a flow, like gentle water movement to look their best....after a few days move him up a bit if required and put in preferred locatin.
After about another two days trj popping a few mysis shrimp onto him and sit back and watch!!!
Good luck..be sure to add pics of him on here

Brilliant Thanks. Will start him off on the sand bed & then move him to the area I would like to put him on a shlf with room for a couple more if I get addited :hyper:

I really am fond of ricordeas. Never had any because they would be eaten by my urchin and also the LFS has never had them in. I did find them online but at £15 for a single ricordea I was a little put off the purchase. Incidently how fast do they grow and divide?

Regards

I kept a gatherer urchin, an orange collecter urchin and still have a black spiny with mine for 3 months to help with the algae bloom and to clean back my rock..
These rics all came as single heads and split on average once every two months...try zoaphoria or fishmans frags

You said to update when I get a chance so here you go....

DSC00033.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

I have got him on the ledge, so was wondering if he is placed wrong.

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

Dude, how do they look when they are spliting? Two parts of mine seems to have clurled up & maybe splitting but not sure..

Normally a new mouth will appear first and they simply stretch themselves across the rock til they split..May appear to be curled up in the center around mouth b4 splitting as well, being opened up at either side...will post pics later of some splitting here Garry

A few pics of rics at different stages of dividing....

Several showing new mouths...be aware though that rics often carry more than one mouth..however when 3 or more develop, division will usually follow....

IMGP7012.jpg

IMGP7007.jpg

IMGP7008.jpg

Unusual stretching and bunching up are also tell tale signs of division coming soon....

IMGP7006-1.jpg

IMGP6998.jpg

IMGP7014.jpg

Most reactions

Back