Rescued Betta

yup, walmart gets paid whether they actualy sell a live or half alive animal or return a list of deads to the vender. And to make that point even better when they do sell a fish a tank or drinking glass sized prision I should say, if above fish dies, the person goes right back to walmart and gets a new one...till either they are educated or they get sick of spending money.

so no matter if a place is actualy selling a good amount of stock or getting reimbursed for the dead, they dont want empty looking shelves for the few people who do buy fish there.

Ok. If thats how Walmart do it then that system of business stinks. Somebody must be making a loss somewhere though?

I would still prefer to give my money to a business that i know looks after their stock in the hope that they can eventually expand, and give people more choice. Anyway the price of fish in Pets @ Home (in UK) is much higher than the lfs anyway!

i agree with bronzecat, the buyers only fuel the problem even further, these shops see you coming a mile off, dont you think that they may have noticed that if they put the bettas in a tank where it is at risk it may sell very fast, or is it the fact that the untrained eye will see the betta in a community tank so buy it for their community tank, its a bit of both TBH, its called "fast track trading in display" to some people, if you add the idea to the customer visually then the customer will buy, and sometimes they go for the heart strings and it works every time.

my response to these stores getting money whether they sell this fish or not, i import every week from a selection of sources if needed and there is only a DOA on arrival policy in place, just like when you buy online from somewhere, if the fish dies after 24 hours of arrival YOU dont get a refund on the fish, once the fish has entered your water parameters then the policy of refund becomes void unless you report a problem with the fish within 24 hours and they die afterwards.

I've seen this before in our LFS too and took one home only to have it die the next day. It was just too far gone.
All I can say about these people is DUH!!! :shout: The lady who owns the store doesn't seem to think of each fish as having a life to be respected which I've picked up in conversation with her.
I can understand being in the business, you can't cry over every fish that dies. HOWEVER, just a basic respect for life would be the minimum.
Basic lack of respect for life is everywhere so I dunno... how a person can go about changing it. It's taken me almost 56 years of life. :good:

Just in response to pretty much the last 5 posts ( :unsure: ) I have rescued quite a few fish in my time, and unfortunately few make it.. like this guy. But they took him back and gave me a full refund. I've never had it any other way. I think I bought him Friday night and took him back Sunday morning.

Perhaps some stores work on putting particular fish in the wrong tank in order to make a fast sale, but these guys at Pets At Home don't have that sort of capability.

my lps isnt to bad they only have 4 tropical tanks so only order 4 male siamese fighters at a time only problem is the tanks can get very overstocked but they have some lovely colouring siamese fighters

Most reactions

Back