Rescue :(

*sigh* SUCKS to see you leave bettamomma and yeevia :/ ...feel free to pop in any time and check to see if things have turned around here! ... i have nothing else to say in this thread, as i don't want to hijack someone else's post or anything....

Hmm...this is quite a blow up over what John said. You know, though, John is right. Technically, reality states that as long as a company can sell a product legally, no matter its ethical rammifications, they will continue to do so. That is simply the nature of a corporation.

Now, that doesn't mean that I agree that as a result, we should not buy fish from a company that treats them poorly. Again, the reality is that those fish will be sold, or at least enough to warrant another order. I fully support rescuing such fish, and in fact, just Saturday, I rescued a pair that had been dumped into the same container together at a store that is notorious for their neglect.

I don't see how John was attacking anyone, but giving his opinion and pointing out a harsh truth. It is everyone's choice whether to make a statement by boycotting a store, or by rescuing a fish. In this day and age, it is nearly impossible to begin a truly effective boycott, especially in regard to something like fish, but again, it is a personal choice.

Yeevia pointed out earlier that John had stated his opinion in another thread and it confused and upset the poster of the thread. The thing is, these are opinions. In the end, everyone is responsible for their own actions and their own decisions. No one should let anyone else dictate their actions. John gave his opinion. It does not mean that you must follow it.

I agree that John's statement is true, but do not share his opinion. In the same breath that I agree with him, I will commend you, dulce, for rescuing a fish in need of your help.

Come on, people, there IS a middle ground where we can all get along, even if it requires us to agree to disagree. I don't see the need for these attacks on each other, and I am an avid debater. I just wanted to put my two cents in and commend dulce. :)

I agree with falcon, we all agree on the principal that we could stop all cruelty but unfortunately the principal is not the reality, we should agree to disagree on our methods of trying to stop cruelty to fish, we are all working for the same goal and should be able to respect all opinions, sometimes its just that its online too, writing is far less expressive than speech and an off the cuff quickly typed statement whilst flicking on and off the screen at work can be tkaen the wrong way.. anyway shaun is doing fabulously !

Glad you agree on the dogs john, he is beautiful and his pic is on my sig !

awww drat I wanted to see what he looked like. Any chance on trying to post aother picc???:D I'd really like to see him...I love fishy pics *hehe*

Oh my gosh......People, come on....we all need to realize that everyone has opinions and they are not always going to be the same.

We need to quit letting everything that is said, whether directed directly at us or whether we feel that is was, get to us personally.

I don't agree with the way Mr. Nicholson tried to get his point across, nor do I think it was the appropriate thread for the opinions to have been brought up...but he has a valid opinion and it shouldn't be thrown back in his face like it doesn't mean anything.

Personally I don't think whether you buy bettas or not that the stores will quit selling them. You aren't going to get every mother out there to stop buying bettas after she let's it die from lack of care and has to run to the store to replace it before her 4 yr old finds out (which is why, if you think about it, there are so many that look soooo alike). If you stop buying them...they will just pile up on shelves and be flushed when the new shipment arrives. If you buy them they will just be replaced when the next shipment arrives. They normally have a standing order for the same amount of fish everytime the order comes in.

If people want to rescue them...who cares. If they don't think you should..who cares. It's all a matter of personal preference and choice. They don't have to rescue a betta or like that you do it....you can rescue as many as you want and you don't have to like that they don't like you doing it. It's not going to change either of your opinions on what you feel , want, or like...and vice versa.

And to sit here and argue about it is doing nothing more then driving wedges between members and causing disharmony throughout the betta board. What's going to end up happening is people are going to continue with the way this has been going lately..and they are going to disable this section..like they did the "general" section. And I , for one, do not want that to happen. I enjoy coming here..regardless of what is said. I feel like if I chose to read it..then I don't really have a reason to "*****" about it and such..although giving your opinion is ok IMO. Just people need to re-read what they have typed and try to make sure what they've "expressed" isn't directed at any one person..and even if it is..that it isn't directed in a demeaning mannor. It would make it more enjoyable if every thread didn't have someone going off and telling each other off. You could simply say...I don't really think rescuing every betta is going to be fruitful..instead of making the rescuer feel like they have done something stupid. 1 word can make the difference in a readers conception of what you are trying to get across to them.

I don't think we would suggest the same route of actions to our children to exercise in school as has been exercised here lately on this board. We all need to think about that. And blaming this on Kelly is just ridiculous. She isn't here 24 hours a day and can't step in and leave comments on every thread that ends up needing locked. That's just how modding is. You do your best to stay indiscriminate and just end things before (or after..should you not be able to catch it while it's happening) escalate any further then they have at teh point of the locking. They really don't need to explain why they lock threads..that is their job...to end arguemnts and riffs. Personally I think after they lock a thread it should be deleted..so it can't be read anymore after that. That way there is less anomosity created by folks who read the thread and didn't get to post their 2 cents..and then create more threads like the closed ones...that stir people up even more.

Look at it this way. Mods are pretty much stuck in the middle. If they choose sides they will get ripped on..if they don't choose sides they get ripped on. it's a no-win situation for them. So that is basically why you won't see alot of mods giving input on closed threads. It would do them no good, except make them appear to be taking sides..either way. And then they woudl get ripped a new one for that as well. :dunno:

Threatening to ban, banning for short periods of time, or indefinate banning is how modding works also. There is no other way to "warn" people that post then to do this. You can't pop their hand with a ruler, or tell their mother...you have to have some logical "punishment" to back up a threat...and that is...either you stop doing whatever it is you've been warned not to do..or you will lose your posting privileges (banned)..it's quite simple.

When adults act like children they need to be treated as children and punished. And being banned (for any amount of time..or even being threatened with it) is somewhat like a teacher making you stand at the chalk board with your nose in a chalk cirlce. It's embarassing and generally speaking it teaches the child a valuable lesson..that either they quit doing whatever it was that they were told not to do..or they will be punished.

thanks, i have to say i was not upset or insulted, he is doing great just come home and he ate a blood worm from my hand!! :wub: will get some better pics of the poor little devil soon !

awww, how cute...hugs all around! (no sarcasm, i'm serious)...i hate how these threads get twisted from the original topic and it is good to see it return to its original purpose! let us know how he does and keep us posted with pics!

It's a silly subject to fight about anyway. As long as everyone has good intentions who cares what they feel about it? Some people think it's better to see the big picture and leave the betta there to it's fate and concentrate their efforts on the store itself, others take a more immediate view and figure they have to save the betta that they have personally witnessed being neglected....others do neither and simply make sure to take good care of the fish that they do have. No need for fighting about it. It's not like anyone is in here saying they approve of cruel treatment.

as per your usual well said SRC

people forget that ALL forums get like this thats what happens when there are so many people with differing views and that can be the brilliance of forums as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dulce congrats on the new fishie, trying to think of names!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

keep coming back to Twiggy sinces hes so skinny!!! liek a stick!

Wow, somehow I thought this thread was simply about a rescued betta :lol:
Congrats, dulce. I hope he flourishes for you.

And you guys don't even know how pleased I am to see it turn out smoothly. THIS is how the betta forum used to be and THIS is what it will be once again. No hatred for different opinions, just agreeing to disagree and calling it at that. As I've said time and time before, I will never frown on anybody for buying a sick fish, but I also see the other side as well. It's a no win situation, but when you rescue a fishy, he's the winner.

SRC, you have a way with words, girl :hey: Thanks :wub:
Falcon, you too girl. I love your open mind.

I feel a weight lifted off of our beloved TFF. :wub:

wow, i'm amazed as well that this was turned around so nicely..not bad, not bad at all ;)

:*) awww shucks...t'ain't nuthin ;) lol. I'm just tired of everyone getting their knickers in a knot and going off about it before they stop and think.

I can feel the love eminating from this thread *kumbaya...* :lol:

Most reactions

Back