Replaced A Leaking Tank Now All Fish Dying :(

Just because you can find links to something does not mean that it is the only way of doing something, or even correct;

http://www.alaska.net/~clund/e_djublonskopf/Flatearthsociety.htm
http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

BTW, none of your links mention the way I do water changes, or dealing with a larger system. All those links are basic beginner information.

unless that water is pretreated, similar temperature and settled for a day that is pretty bad practise as it weakens the fish and can kill otherwise healthy fish.

Many many others find no reason to do this. It would probably be best if you were to do some research into why in your particular situation you can’t.

Only because i'm paranoid I don't trust adding water directly, No reason or other direct need.
Logically adding lots tap water to a room temperature 'cold water' tank is fine, but changing the temperature on a tropical tank rapidly with cold water rapidly doesnt make much sense to me.

I only shop at proper aquariums I not getting advice from kitten store shops but aquarium stores where i ask how they care for their own fish. Which is what i try to follow 10% a week simple as that.

I don’t care how proper they are, they are a retail outlet and short term holding facility for fish. Start by asking them about line breeding to fix a strain, how certain traits are dominant or recessive depending on the allele they are associated with, and how this affects color expression and growth rate when crossing homozygous or heterozygous parents. They don’t deal with this; many members here do, and are way beyond these “proper” aquariums. We breed the fish you buy from these outfits, and know considerably more than these outfits.

I trust you do and value your input, i will heed you advice and ask more about the Not For Sale tanks the aquariums have for breeding their fish.
All I want to know are goldfish easier for you to keep than other fish?

Looking at your stocking as well as tank size I would suggest you try a daily 10% water change for a week, follow that up with some 25% daily water changes for several days, you should then be able to change water as often and as much as you like. I’ve kept all the species you list, though some are a bit difficult to decipher, and all have had large water changes, direct from the tap, with no problems.

Is this for the OP who has trouble with water quality?
as my fish have no current problems with water.

He's BAAAAAAACK
:stupid:

TRUCE DUDE!

GOLDFISH :rofl:

Not a fan of them

Why don't you go and :book: up on water changes and see how wrong you are
Like TOLAK said maybe you should find out why you can't make descent water changes instead of telling people they cant

EDIT:: ALSO, im not trying to argue its just .. if breeders tell you you're wrong and you don't believe them then i guess you won't believe the sky is purple

TRUCE :good:

If you want truce stop flamebaiting
No arguments from me, just purely stated my personal experience, a belief and paranoid processes,
I basically revealed this is what I do 'what i do does not mean I'm forcing you to do it'
10% change weekly
40% monthly with preconditioned and warmed fresh water. (for tropical tank)

How does that equate to absolutely wrong, it seems close variation to the suggested change process.

Whats with the weak burn about me keeping goldfish?? :hyper:

If I were you I would delete the "hidden" burn toward Mr.TOLAK too, I know he does'nt keep goldies as he even mentioned in one of his previous posts on how misinformed you seem

If I were you I would delete the "hidden" burn toward Mr.TOLAK too, I know he does'nt keep goldies as he even mentioned in one of his previous posts on how misinformed you seem

Tolak no burn intended, I don't stalk your other threads so am unfamiliar that you do not breed goldfish.

SlyPolak
Gold fish a good fish to keep entertaining and less demanding of time, they accept chlorinated tap water and live on quite happily.

The host of this site made a very good read http://www.fishforever.co.uk/cycling.html

Most interestingly
"1. You forgot to dechlorinate your water when you did a water change. Chlorine kills bacteria! "

Is it so wrong to treat water with dechlorinate/conditioner before I add it to an existing tank that I use live bacteria?

I'll check the nitrogen cycle again, you may want to check up on the water change and nitrogen cycle also.

Tolak no burn intended, I don't stalk your other threads so am unfamiliar that you do not breed goldfish.

SlyPolak
Gold fish a good fish to keep entertaining and less demanding of time, they accept chlorinated tap water and live on quite happily.

The host of this site made a very good read http://www.fishforever.co.uk/cycling.html

Most interestingly
"1. You forgot to dechlorinate your water when you did a water change. Chlorine kills bacteria! "

Is it so wrong to treat water with dechlorinate/conditioner before I add it to an existing tank that I use live bacteria?

I'll check the nitrogen cycle again, you may want to check up on the water change and nitrogen cycle also.

ok, TOLAK wrote that he didnt keep goldfish on the first page of THIS topic
I find that there is no need to use conditioner when you do a 25% or less water change as long as you turn your filter off while doing it.. Wait a few minutes and the amount of chlorine gets so dilluted it does minimal harm if any to the bacteria.

ALSO, congratulations on your SUPERIOR use of google :rofl:

Maybe you should try yahoo next and come up with some new links

Perhaps we could get back to helping the OP...

Tank water
Ph 7.2
Kh 6
Gh 16
No2 1
No3 100
Cl2 0

Tap water
Ph 6.8
Kh 6
Gh 16
No2 0
No3 50
Cl2 0

I used a terra 6 in 1 test strip

Nitrate is currently high but comes out of the tap high according to these tests, I haven't tested the rainwater yet.

Well strips can be unreliable -on your original post it showed zero's on ammonia/nitrite and nitrate 10,which is good,but here the nitrite is 1 and your nitrate is excessively high at 100...
Which does require a large waterchange if those readings are correct...i assume the first readings was from an api test??
Perhaps you can test again using a liquid test kit and see how it stands...
Did you test your rainwater?

I apologize to every one ( including Carl0ski ) about the rants that I allowed between myself and him.. I am done so please continue helping Rich with his ongoing problems..

I apologize to every one ( including Carl0ski ) about the rants that I allowed between myself and him.. I am done so please continue helping Rich with his ongoing problems..

I was more than civil however was met by continual abuse
Repeated swearing and insults to my PMs and profile is not an apology SlyPolak, it harrassment

An exert of his ramblings to my account
"
AFTER I SEND THIS YOU ARE OFFICIALLY IGNORED SO KEEP ON SENDING/POSTING STUFF THAT NO ONE CARES OR SEES

$
U
$
#"

PS No I did not lose any fish in my tank due to water changes, my choice is because mainly my tap water is not drinkable without filtering.

As it turns out the OP water may not have been safe either. Hopefully we learned something, test our input water before we use it. Why else do I leave my water to settle before I introduce it.

Most reactions

Back