Rena Xp2 Filter Media

talisker

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i'm using a rena xp2 external filter, i've heard that there is no need to use the charcoal that comes with the filter so i left it out so at the moment the filter is running but with space to fit in more media ,ive looked on the rena web site and am a little bit confused as to what i should use instead if it's more sponge what grade would be best. :)

The most obvious choice would be more biomedia (as opposed to mechanical or chemical media) and the best types for you would be sponge, ceramic gravel or ceramic rings. Plastic constructions like bioballs are not dense enough for a small cannister like the XP2 but are better in large sump filters.

A typical sequence of graduated (gradually trapping particles of smaller and smaller size, since all media types overlap in function and biomedia will also be playing some of the mechanical filtration role) layers would be the larger ceramic rings first in the water path, followed by perhaps a coarse sponge, followed by a layer of ceramic gravel or seachem matrix stones or such, perhaps followed by whatever fine mechanical (floss pads etc) you are using.

That's just an example, the point is to start your water spaces larger and gradually work them smaller as the water path (almost certainly bottom to top in the Rena) progresses.

WD

I run mine with the Rena sponges in the bottom basket, coarse sponges then finer sponges. The top basket I run with some Seachem matrix which is a granular ceramic media. I place the top basket flat cover on that and put a thin polishing pad on top and finally the shaped top cover that matches up to the impeller housing. The way the stack works is coarse sponges, fine sponges, Matrix and finally a polishing pad. As WD suggested, I might get longer runs between cleaning by switching some of the sponge with some of the matrix to get coarse sponges, matrix, fine sponges then polishing pad, but I have yet to try it that way.

great thx guys....just the info i was looking for, i've ordered some Seachem matrix from ebay today :good:

Most reactions

Back