Refractor Meter

garry_boyd3

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI All, I have a refractor metre & it was tested at the LFS & was correct... To make sure I have brought Pinpoint Salinity Monitor calibration fluid. The SG on this is 1.0264 if I put it into my refractor meter it 1.028. So should I adjust the refractor metre to the fluid? This may exp[lain some of the issue I have had with my corals. My SG at current levels is 1.025. Many thanks in advance.

Yes alter the refractometer to the fluid.

SG is better if its a little high rather than a little low. You will only have been running at 1.027, when you adjust for temp as refractometers measure at 20 deg usually that would give you 1.026 as the SG decreases at higher temp.

If you want an explanation of this can point you to somewhere but would need to find the link.

Thanks TI, yes please if you could find the link I would appreciate it. Knowledge is king.

But I was thinking:
If the fluid show 1.026 but through my Refractor metre is 1.028, that means its 0.002 higher, then because my salt water is 1.025 would it then be my watr is really 1.024???

I have not long got up, I am very confused now.

Alter the fluid reading to 1.026 using the adjustment screw.

Then test your tank water.

Sorry these drugs are pickling me, cannot work it out at the mo.

No need to apologies (ever). You & the rest have been wonderful help :good:

Let make it easy for me :hyper: I have calibrated the refractor metre to th calibration fluid (not bad it was £5). My water is 1.024, so I will slowly increase the SG.

I was going shopping today for a fish & coral, but may hav to wait now :crazy:

Don't worry too much, coral sg is usually quoted as 1.024 - 1.026. All you need to do is make water of a slightly higher sg than you actually want it, next time you do a water change.

Don't get too hung up on the numbers, a stable SG is far more important than it being bang on 1.025.

May explain the Calc being a little lower than I expected, but honestly, its not bad. As I said STABILITY is the key.

Thanks Tina. Off to the LFS soon, not been to the Coventry one but Seffie etc said it was good. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back