RED TAILED CATFISH

hotmonkey

Reaction score
hi just got my first red tail catfish he is only about 4 inches long at the moment and i have in a 4 foot tank, i do realise how big he grows, but i would like some info from anybody who has actually got one or knows anymore about this fish as everything i have researched on the net conflicts wiv each other, eg... food temp etc

well to b honest i dont know a great deal about these big boys, except they get big and u will need a huge tank for him.

Apart from their really huge size, they have a mouth to match! They tend to eat anything that can fit in, and do their best to try and make it fit, they tend to strike at night when their victims are asleep. But apart from this they are really a beautiful cat retaining their colours throughout thier life :clap:

yep the redtailed cat they are my fav fish mine is now about 8-9" long as some people no on here i lost my first one to the fact they are like the goat of the fish world, they will try and eat everything that fits and does not fit in there mouth.

i had to pull a bit of slate out of his mouth when my first one was about 4" long,
with a bit of luck if you can call it that a little was sticking just out of his mouth that came out nearly the same length of him.
then he eat a fish which had died that was just smaller than him.
that i am afraid is what killed him even when he was dead we could not pull the fish out it just snapped in half.

but like people will tell you to get one of these tame or any other big fish is just brill mine bruce now comes up to the top everytime he feeds and sticks his feelers out the top.

but remember when larger ie: like bruce they may only need feeding 2/3 times a week well this is what works for mine.

when my first one was young i used to feed mine everynight and this also seemed to agree with this fish.

remember a big tank is going to be a must and try not to move him two many times as the fewer the better.

any questions @ all please fell free to email me.

hope this can be of some use but there will be others with much more knowledge than i, and some may disagree with what i have said but like i say i am only speaking from my own experience.

take care hopefully speak soon :p

Most reactions

Back