Red Tail Shark ok to put in 5 gal hospital tank??

The API Super Ick almost killed all my fish, so I'm going to avoid using any treatments if I can. I did pick up Ick Guard by Tetra as a last resort if the temperature trick doesn't do the job.

No, don't use the ich treatments just turn down the heat a little to about 80-82 degrees so you don't burn the fish. Yes, this will still kill the ich.

I would keep the temp at 80-82 for about 2 days. After that slowly turn the temp back down to normal. Just change the heat setting on the heater every day to get it back to normal.?

Ya, absolutely. It's steady around 82-83 right now so I'm just going to keep it there for time being.

I would keep the temp at 80-82 for about 2 days. After that slowly turn the temp back down to normal. Just change the heat setting on the heater every day to get it back to normal.?
OK sounds good I appreciate all the help!! Thanks for spending time on this.

No, problem. I want people to enjoy this hobby just like I have, and keep enjoying it as I will.

The temperature need to be 86 deg F to kill the parasite. If it's lower than that they won't all be killed and they'll re-infect the fish. The temperature needs to be measured by a thermometer in the water not the heater setting or a thermometer stuck on the outside. it should remain at 86 deg F for 2 weeks or 1 week after the last spot disappears in that's longer.

The ich parasite has a three stage lifecycle - #1 on the fish, #2 in a cyst on the bottom of the tank where it multiplies and #3 where the cyst releases hundreds of free swimming parasites.
The parasite can only be killed in #3 by either heat or medication, so the heat must be at 86 when the very last cyst opens.

The temperature need to be 86 deg F to kill the parasite. If it's lower than that they won't all be killed and they'll re-infect the fish. The temperature needs to be measured by a thermometer in the water not the heater setting or a thermometer stuck on the outside. it should remain at 86 deg F for 2 weeks or 1 week after the last spot disappears in that's longer.

The ich parasite has a three stage lifecycle - #1 on the fish, #2 in a cyst on the bottom of the tank where it multiplies and #3 where the cyst releases hundreds of free swimming parasites.
The parasite can only be killed in #3 by either heat or medication, so the heat must be at 86 when the very last cyst opens.
I'm currently sitting at 86 now. 2 of my tiger barbs passed when I woke up and a molly was attached to my filter but I freed it in time.. :( My shark looks worse but I found the stupid filter cartridge has active carbon so I'm going to do a 25% water change, take the filter out, and retry with 1/2 teaspoon salt per gallon.

Last edited:
Can I just check - are you using heat and medication together? Both of these lower the oxygen content of the water so it's either heat or medication not both together.

You can leave the carbon in when using heat.

Can I just check - are you using heat and medication together? Both of these lower the oxygen content of the water so it's either heat or medication not both together.

You can leave the carbon in when using heat.
For my 30 gal I'm only using heat cause I can't control the heat in my 5 gal hospital cause it's automatic to 76. I use API Aquarium salt in my hospital since no heat and taking the carbon out. Good plan? Do you think I should do a tablespoon salt per gal and do level 3? Or keep it half tablespoon.

Aquarium salt won't kill the ich parasite, it can live in full strength sea water. The only use for salt with ich is to keep the place where the parasite was attached clean so a secondary infection doesn't get into the wound.

I would either return the fish to the main tank which you are treating with heat, or use a medication instead. And if you use medication, then yes take the carbon out.

Aquarium salt won't kill the ich parasite, it can live in full strength sea water. The only use for salt with ich is to keep the place where the parasite was attached clean so a secondary infection doesn't get into the wound.

I would either return the fish to the main tank which you are treating with heat, or use a medication instead. And if you use medication, then yes take the carbon out.
So, I did 1 tablespoon per gal of salt (5 1/2. 1/2 for good measure) an hr ago and the ick looks to be falling off him. Like scabs coming off his fins and his fins already look better. I've read this works all over the net so I'm going to give it a couple days. If not I'll throw a tab in there.

Most reactions

Back