Red Fiined Shark

coalpoolwalla

Reaction score
will a red finned shark go in a tank with guppys and platty.

btw this post is not for me because im in a fishless cycle... my grandad wants to know lol

hmm, well im no expert on red tailed sharks, so dont take me for granted, when i had one (i stocked one in my 48ltr - BIG mistake, it grew farr too big for my tank and eventually died, but i had no clue what stocking levels i should have when i first started - oops, so im glad you've come on here and should hopefully know what is good stocking levels for your currently cycling tank.) :/

i kept my red tailed shark with guppies and platys and he/she was fine. i have no idea if a 125ltr is big enough, but if it is, then im sure with some good plants and a cave for him, he should be fine. :)

but dont take this for granted, i may be totaly wrong so best for other members to comfirm it first ;)

ok cheers.
i havent got a clue what fish i will be having in my tank yet as i only got it last week at started cycle yesterday lol

hopefully i will get it right first time with the fantastic help from all you people on TFF

yes its my first tank. and its 100 litres ( measured it while i was filling it with a 25L bucket so i know bang on lol)

right well thats a great size, and im glad your doing the right thing by cycling it. erm, id say you should start of with some hardy fish, which i believe to be like platys. but i never went through that stage (lol, bad start i had) so get backup on that too to comfirm, i dont want you going wrong because of me! :/ :p

What I have read on the red tailed sharks show that they will grow to about six inches and can live for up to eight years. As for its temperament, it could be aggressive towards fish, as they are territorial with their own kind. They can, however, be kept in a community, but the other fish should be medium to top water dwellers, as these are bottom dwellers. Hopefully that helps. Have a good day : )

From the readings, I have understood that they're aggressive towards fish that resemble their own kind, i.e. black bodied fish, with red in them. Also, they are very territorial, whether their own kind or other fish. If fish are kept with them, they should avoid crossing paths with them, and they should also be fast enough to get away from them. Smaller fish would not be a good idea to keep with them. I am sorry I didn't address the guppies, as I read over that. I doubt they would be good tank mates, as guppies would definitely be targets of fin/eye nibbling from the Red Tailed.

Hi coalpoolwalla :)

A red finned shark, Epalzeorhynchos frenatum, is also called a rainbow shark. I'll move your thread to the Cyprinids, Characins and Atherinids where you might get some more information about them.

Ive got a 4" albino rainbow shark with orange fins in my tank and it doesnt seem aggressive. It can sometimes get territorial and will sometimes chase other fish away from a certain part of the tank but I've never seen it actually attack another fish.

Andy

125l is ~33 us gallons
It's enough for a juvenile but after a few years a bigger tank would be better. :unsure:

I currently have a small rainbow shark in my 25 gal tank with gold barbs. All fish are fine but the shark will definitely needs a bigger in a few months/years.

Add some plants and covers and your platties/guppies should be fine.
Make sure you have a clear spot where he can establish his territory near a rock, plant, cave or he will claim the entire tank! :)

I found Rainbow sharks to be timid, only reacting to others like it (rtbs and other Rainbows) it is no danger to bottom dwellers, as it does not hunt, nor even catch or eat live fish. don't get worried about the term "shark", its a selling device. these fish an no more closely related to sharks than a minnow is. as i said at the beginning, they are timid, almost neurotic fish. so the need lots of places to hide.they are also going to need more like 50ukg + as they mature. for a six inch fish, that's a lot of water.

Most reactions

Back