Red Cherry Shrimp Compatibility

paw-paw

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI!

I was thinking about getting a few red cherry shrimps (they are the only shrimps in our stores). They would live in a 20 g tank together with female guppies and possibly some other fish (tetras) and there are also 2 otos in there.
I am thinking of buying some for 3 months now :blush: , but just can't decide.... Would they survive in a guppy tank or would they get eaten? Would they be any danger to guppies? I know I should feed them special shrimp pelets. Would they harm my plants (they grow beautifully right now)?how to arange their hiding places?
How many should I buy if I decide to buy them?

THX

Are you planning on breeding the cherries, cause if you are the only really safe fish are otos and dwarf cories.
If you just want some adults then they should be fine with your female guppies and some small tetras (if the shrimp you get are big enough)
Cherries are pretty shy though, so you might not see them as much, they done do damage to plants and really they just need lotsa plants to hide in (They like java moss etc.)

well I don't intend to breed them, tho a surviving baby here and than would be nice :)
Well are ther other shrimps that aren't that shy, don't destroy plants and would be guppy safe?
Maybe I will go to austria where they have the biggest aquashop in the world (it is our neighbouring country), just have to convince my dad to drive me there :hyper:

well I don't intend to breed them, tho a surviving baby here and than would be nice :)
Well are ther other shrimps that aren't that shy, don't destroy plants and would be guppy safe?
Maybe I will go to austria where they have the biggest aquashop in the world (it is our neighbouring country), just have to convince my dad to drive me there :hyper:

Most species of dwarf shrimp are peaceful for their tank mates and none should eat live plants, only dead ones. The rule for fish tank mates is if the shrimp will fit into its mouth then it will probably be eaten. Like Funkycat said adult cherry shrimp will be fine with Guppys and Neons and if you have enough hiding places some babies will survive too.

Where are you from paw-paw? There are loads of species of shrimp available in Mainland Europe, especially if you can get to Germany as shrimp keeping is very popular there. If you can read German have a look at this site: [URL="http://www.wirbellose.de"]http://www.wirbellose.de[/URL]

One alternative I have kept is the Anamo Shrimp. Although they aren't as brightly coloured as the Cherry shimp, Anamo shrimp grow bigger than the cherrys and will probably be less shy. Unfortunatly they wont breed in freshwater.

Thanks, will read the link :)
I live in slovenia, so germany is a bit far because I am kinda affraid that if I buy live animals, plants there that they won't survive cause it would be quite a long journey for them...Or would they? I have a 20 l plastic transport aquarium, but mm there is no heather or filter in it as there is nowhere I can plug them in...

But austria is OK, I live just at the borders (well there are no borders anymore) between austria and slovenia :)

Like has been said you probably wont have any babies surviving and the adults will probably rarely venture from cover.

Most reactions

Back