Recommendations for new tank

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hi :yahoo: you're friendly fish addict here...

I'm looking at a Clearseal 36" x 18" x 12" (LxWxH), it works out at 127 litres (34 US Gallons). This should mean I can keep my Black Molly & have plenty of space for an Albino Bristlenose Pleco. Also I'm 4ft 11" and a shallow tank is much easier to maintain :rofl:

I've not worked out any other stock yet but currently have the Molly, 2 adult Platys, 7 Platy Fry & 4 Neon Tetra in a 58L/60cm tank. I'm treating for ICH & once resolved I may need to return my tetra. And then hoping to get new tank.

My pH is 7.2 out the tap but 8 in the tank. Tank KH 19 is and GH is 15. Water company says
Current mg/l of CaC03 in your water307

Ok so firstly I'm hoping for advice on an internal filter. I've found these ones suitable for the tank size & wondering if any are recommended? Or any other suggestions?

The Eheim 2402 aquaball 130
Eheim pickup 160
hygger Aquarium Double Sponge Filter

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RDJC1D3/?tag=

I'll use this thread for suggestions for stock later too if that's ok.

My pH is 7.2 out the tap but 8 in the tank. Tank KH 19 is and GH is 15.

The pH increase is likely due to dissolved CO2 in the tap water, or to calcareous rock substances in the aquarium. I would suspect the former first. When testing pH of tap water, you need to out-gas any dissolved CO2, as this can cause a false and lower reading. The easiest way is to let a glass of fresh tap water sit 24 hours, then test pH. The result should be accurate, and here likely higher than 7.2 and closer to 8.

Only tap water tests for pH need do this; other tests and for tank water are fine "|as is."

You clearly have harder water well suited to livebearers, so no issues there. Neons returned will be good.

I started out with an Eheim pickup 160 in my 36x12x12. It was way too powerful and I downgraded it to a Pickup 60, which in all honesty was still too much flow (and TBH a bit ugly).
The sponge filter will be fine but be aware you need to buy a separate air pump, and many of them are quite noisy - so if you want it to be quiet go for an internal filter.
Not familiar with the aquaball.

With the shallow tank make sure you check the dimensions of whatever filter you get to ensure that it fits - with enough space for substrate.

I started out with an Eheim pickup 160 in my 36x12x12. It was way too powerful and I downgraded it to a Pickup 60, which in all honesty was still too much flow (and TBH a bit ugly).
The sponge filter will be fine but be aware you need to buy a separate air pump, and many of them are quite noisy - so if you want it to be quiet go for an internal filter.
Not familiar with the aquaball.

With the shallow tank make sure you check the dimensions of whatever filter you get to ensure that it fits - with enough space for substrate.

Oh that's a good point about the noise. I've a Tetra APS 100 & find it extremely irritating! Internal filter it is so. Will be careful with measurements. I'm basically going for a wider version of your tank @seangee - it's perfect for the space I have abd my height.

The pH increase is likely due to dissolved CO2 in the tap water, or to calcareous rock substances in the aquarium. I would suspect the former first. When testing pH of tap water, you need to out-gas any dissolved CO2, as this can cause a false and lower reading. The easiest way is to let a glass of fresh tap water sit 24 hours, then test pH. The result should be accurate, and here likely higher than 7.2 and closer to 8.

Only tap water tests for pH need do this; other tests and for tank water are fine "|as is."

You clearly have harder water well suited to livebearers, so no issues there. Neons returned will be good.
Cool will test that tomorrow & leave the glass out overnight.

I just did a 75% change earlier as Nitrite was 0.2 & now noticed one tetra not looking great. Hopefully he's ok. But yes my water isn't suited to them so be best to re-home them.

I used an aquaball in the 50 litre tank I had to close and I have an Eheim powerball in my main tank. The Aquaball is a nice filter, all sponge media so no worries about carbon cartridges. The flow rate on them is adjustable, both speed and direction. If wanted there's also a mini spray bar as an optional extra.

I used an aquaball in the 50 litre tank I had to close and I have an Eheim powerball in my main tank. The Aquaball is a nice filter, all sponge media so no worries about carbon cartridges. The flow rate on them is adjustable, both speed and direction. If wanted there's also a mini spray bar as an optional extra.

Sounds great! I was just looking at the spray bar on Amazon. Also checking out heaters. I think I need 200watt heater. Wondering if the fluval digital one is good cause I find the dial tricky on my 50watt Resun heater.

Sounds great! I was just looking at the spray bar on Amazon. Also checking out heaters. I think I need 200watt heater. Wondering if the fluval digital one is good cause I find the dial tricky on my 50watt Resun heater.
Again size is a consideration unless you want to lay the heater horizontally or at an angle.
I bought 2 of these (the 100W) version and they fit nicely in the corners. (I'm funny about heaters and have 2 in all my tanks - as well as an external heater controller.)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Again size is a consideration unless you want to lay the heater horizontally or at an angle.
I bought 2 of these (the 100W) version and they fit nicely in the corners. (I'm funny about heaters and have 2 in all my tanks - as well as an external heater controller.)

My very first tank as a kid had a faulty heater that fried all my fish over night. So heaters freak me out a bit. I'll check out those you've linked. I have my heater horizontal but I find this kind of affects my plant layout.

Just spent ages looking at perspex so I think I'll actually see if local hardware shops have some 3mm. And was gonna try a split lid of two 36 x 10 pieces so I can slide them & remove them without fuss. I've (ok my husband has) a jigsaw so if I've the right attachment that should help with holes or space for cables.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use Eheim heaters but they may be too long for the Clearseal tank.

Most reactions

Back