Real Or Fake Plants...?

Mr Melt

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Basically what the title says. I'm fighting down the temptation to goto the petshop and buy a load of aquarium plants to replace my fake collection along the back of my tank. My reasoning is simple; I think that my fish need somewhere more natural to hide and the added perk of the plants as a foodsource is always welcome!

Does anyone disagree? What would your opinion be on whats best?

Real plants are always best, what is the volume of the tank and how many watts of light are over it?

Not always, it depends on the lighting situation, if your tank has low levels of light the air that is dissolved into the water column will contain sufficient CO2 for the plants, the products of osmoregulation and excretion will provide the other nutrients required.

Mine at the moment has the bedroom light + the aquarium light on. Its only on at night-time (then at midnight I switch to the nightlight).

I hope that isn't too much for live plants.....

How many Watts is the aquarium light rated at? Is the tube linear? All information should be printed on the tube itself, what's the diameter of the tube?

Its a 50 litre Fishbox with 2 lights; normal and nightlight. Normal is 15watt flourescent (I think, cant be sure but it is bright).

With 15 Watts of compact Fluorescent you'd be able to grow most slow growers such as: Anubias, Microsorum, Crypts and various mosses etc.

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread but I too have been thinking about this. I have a Juwel Rekord 800 tank which is 110l I think and has 2x 18watt tubes over it. Would I get away without CO2?

i think you will be ok with your lighting without CO2 for some plants but you can check on this forum about what plants are suited to certain lighting or need CO2.

Live plants look fabulous but, unfortunately, they are not appropriate for every aquarium. It all depends on the type of fish you are keeping. Some cichlid varieties really destroy live plants and you end up spending a fortune on continually replacing plants that have been uprooted and shredded overnight.

I tried to have live plants in my main tank with my short-bodied convicts but, alas, I gave up in the end. Every couple of weeks I was going back to my LFS to buy more plants and no sooner were they in the aquarium than the fish would wreck them within days. Very disheartening and extremely costly!

I now use a mix of silk and plastic plants in their tank and have found it a lot less stressful although they probably hate me for spoiling their fun LOL

Athena

Live plants look fabulous but, unfortunately, they are not appropriate for every aquarium. It all depends on the type of fish you are keeping. Some cichlid varieties really destroy live plants and you end up spending a fortune on continually replacing plants that have been uprooted and shredded overnight.

I tried to have live plants in my main tank with my short-bodied convicts but, alas, I gave up in the end. Every couple of weeks I was going back to my LFS to buy more plants and no sooner were they in the aquarium than the fish would wreck them within days. Very disheartening and extremely costly!

I now use a mix of silk and plastic plants in their tank and have found it a lot less stressful although they probably hate me for spoiling their fun LOL

Athena

I'm begining to give up on live plants also for similar reasons. I can't seem to find any decent ones though. Is there a particular brand? The biorb ones look quite nice but way over priced as you would expect!

Its a 50 litre Fishbox with 2 lights; normal and nightlight. Normal is 15watt flourescent (I think, cant be sure but it is bright).

Until recently, I had a very similar tank, a 64 litre Fishpod (in my sig). It came with a 15 watt Daylight lamp and a Blue Moon lamp for night time viewing, but I swapped the latter for another Daylight lamp and fitted blue LED strip lighting under the hood for a night light as I thought I would like the look of that better (I did!). I had no fancy substrate - just gravel - but quite a few plants did well in there: Anubias, Echinodorus, Cryptocoryne, Ceratophyllum, Vallisneria, Bacopa and Java moss all thrived, with the addition of trace ferts now and then. The plants I generally had less success with were the fast-growing stem plants like Gymnocoronis, Cabomba, Limnophyllum and Rotala, but my philosophy is just to try it and see - you don't know what will work until you have a go, so get planting :D

Sorry to Hi-Jack the thread but I too have been thinking about this. I have a Juwel Rekord 800 tank which is 110l I think and has 2x 18watt tubes over it. Would I get away without CO2?

I bought exactly this tank to replace my 64 litre, and I very much hope it won't need CO2, cos it ain't getting any! :lol: I think the light works out at just over a watt per gallon which is pretty low, so as long as I accept that growth will be slow, I think the plants from my old tank should be fine. I've put in a nutrient substrate for the Crypts and the Sword, and the fish waste should provide the nutrients for everything else. My Anubias has already decided to flower for the first time, so I have at least one happy plant :lol: Oh, and I should mention that I've added reflectors to the tubes to try to maximise the light (they don't come as standard for some reason) and it certainly seems brighter in there now. Probably worth doing if you're going to try to grow plants. :good:

Until recently, I had a very similar tank, a 64 litre Fishpod (in my sig). It came with a 15 watt Daylight lamp and a Blue Moon lamp for night time viewing, but I swapped the latter for another Daylight lamp and fitted blue LED strip lighting under the hood for a night light as I thought I would like the look of that better (I did!). I had no fancy substrate - just gravel - but quite a few plants did well in there: Anubias, Echinodorus, Cryptocoryne, Ceratophyllum, Vallisneria, Bacopa and Java moss all thrived, with the addition of trace ferts now and then. The plants I generally had less success with were the fast-growing stem plants like Gymnocoronis, Cabomba, Limnophyllum and Rotala, but my philosophy is just to try it and see - you don't know what will work until you have a go, so get planting :D

I bought exactly this tank to replace my 64 litre, and I very much hope it won't need CO2, cos it ain't getting any! :lol: I think the light works out at just over a watt per gallon which is pretty low, so as long as I accept that growth will be slow, I think the plants from my old tank should be fine. I've put in a nutrient substrate for the Crypts and the Sword, and the fish waste should provide the nutrients for everything else. My Anubias has already decided to flower for the first time, so I have at least one happy plant :lol: Oh, and I should mention that I've added reflectors to the tubes to try to maximise the light (they don't come as standard for some reason) and it certainly seems brighter in there now. Probably worth doing if you're going to try to grow plants. :good:

Cheers for the help mate. I'll look into reflectors.

and the added perk of the plants as a foodsource is always welcome!

Does anyone disagree? What would your opinion be on whats best?

thinking of the plants as an added food source isnt quite correct, most of us DONT want our plants being eaten by fish, and tbh most fish dont really bother plants, but like said above, there are some fish that wont leave the plants alone. mainly you should be thinking of making a more natural habitat for ur fish, and making your tank look great at the same time! low wattage tanks do great without CO2. Although mine has been going for only 2 months, the growth has been great and it doesnt seem to be slowing down.

2 months ago..
007c.jpg

now...
225818_10150178797324548_500029547_6670370_2891279_n.jpg

bearing in mind, ive added a few plants since the first pic, but u can see the huge growth. this is without ferts or any additional nutrition. i think its because I have the right amount of light with the right amount of time, with a very high turnover, and great flow thru my tank.

Most reactions

Back