Ranger's Tank Journal

OoOO Never heard of it. Did you go snorkling and take some pictures for us? :hey:
I would have liked to, but I don't have an underwater camera :-(.

I think I've decided against getting the goby/shrimp for my tank. Does any1 have any suggestions of what I could add to 2 False percs and a Sixline wrasse? I'd like something energetic with a personality, something that will add movement to the tank.

Couldn't you use a disposable one in a couple of seal-able placcy bags?
Hmm, I dunno. There wasn't access to touristy stuff down there like disposable cam's. And I wasn't about to take my digital underwater :lol:

EDIT: Whats the best stuff to be feeding my clownfish, I've been feeding them whats left over of my frozen brine shrimp (which I've heard isn't very nutritious) and some pellets from the LFS.

Couldn't you use a disposable one in a couple of seal-able placcy bags?
Hmm, I dunno. There wasn't access to touristy stuff down there like disposable cam's. And I wasn't about to take my digital underwater :lol:

EDIT: Whats the best stuff to be feeding my clownfish, I've been feeding them whats left over of my frozen brine shrimp (which I've heard isn't very nutritious) and some pellets from the LFS.

My clowns pretty much eat anything I drop into the tank. I feed them flakes/Brine Shrimp/Myisis

Exciting new additions! I got a sixline wrasse about a few days ago, and picked up some coral yesterday. It's either a torch or a frogspawn (i have trouble determining the difference :blush: ).

Sounds great, but we're gonna have to get you taking some pictures now :shifty:. Frogspawn corals have branching tentacles like trees and torch corals have individual tentacles coming from the base like an anemone. Hammer corals look like torches with the oval tips. And it is possible to have hybrids between the individual species, most commonly hammer-frogspawn hybrids

Here's the pics of my live stock. The clowns are doing great and so is the sixline. I think the sixline might be a bit aggressive though, because it will periodically swim towards/around the clowns, which seems to scare the clowns but the sixline doesn't do it an aggressive manner, almost as if he is just cruising by. Also, the clowns don't go into the rockwork, they stick to the sides of the tank(the front mainly) which is where they were dropped into the tank. My coral (torch/hammer/frogspawn?), since I came home tonights and the lights were off (intentionally from the timer) it has withdrawn into its... Stalk/Base. Is this normal behavior? Or is something bothering it? I have my lights on for 10 hours a day.

Tankupdate1-16-07004.jpg

Tankupdate1-16-07002.jpg

Tankupdate1-16-07005.jpg

Tankupdate1-16-07003.jpg

This guy was hard to get a picture of, he's pretty shy.

Tankupdate1-16-07001.jpg

I couldn't get a picture of the base because of its positioning. But it has numerous (Calcium?) stalks branching out from its bottom (about 5?) and the the "tentacles" come out of each stalk.

Wow, great shots of the 6-line. Those things can be a PITA to take pics of, largely cause they are so stinkin fast and jittery ;). Your toch sounds like its having perfectly normal behavior/structure. When the lights go out, just about any coral will close up and retreat into its skeleton/stalk. Usually for a little while after lights out many corals will extend sweeper tentacles searching for food and then retract. Not all do this though ;).

I'm debating on whether or not to attempt an experimental procedure to get my clowns to host the coral. Clowns can see outside the tank right? While they may not know what is going on, they can none the less see right? If so, I wonder if it would be effective to show clowns a picture or movie in a loop of clowns hosting anem's and corals in the wild. It occured to me that since they are tank bred they never would have actually seen this behavior. Before you criticize this crazy idea, I realize that the fish would not be able to comprehend the picture or movie, but maybe somewhere deep in their mind it would click in their "subconscious" or something. I have heard of scientists using pictures/movies to stimulate behavior in other animals, so maybe it will work here too? Any thoughts/opinions?

been done with other animals and for the price of a video why not, i watch scrubs alot but mygreen chromis havent started to shock eachother and shout medical stuff but your idea could work :good:

B)-->QUOTE(James B @ Jan 17 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]1449560[/snapback]
been done with other animals and for the price of a video why not, i watch scrubs alot but mygreen chromis havent started to shock eachother and shout medical stuff but your idea could work :good:[/quote]

lol I love that show..

Unfortunately my clowns have been watching Chelsea on the TV, as soon as one of them goes near the other, it falls to the bottom writhing in agony, then gets up right as rain 2 minutes later after I have told the other off!

Haha, i think it should work. BTW two of the stalks on my coral have completely withdrawn and some brownish stuff (possibly algae) is growing on the tip of the hard stalk. The other 4 stalks are fine. Any ideas? I don't have time to take a pic or get water quality atm. Have to go to work.

Most reactions

Back