Ranger's Tank Journal

Yeah, my LFS is pretty cool. I spend alot of money there, so i get "Da Hook-Ups".

Hmm, I recall asking this question before, but it wasn't in this thread and I searched it but came up with nothing. I know, much to my dismay, that I can't have an anemone in my tank. So instead I was wondering what some beginner corals are. I'm planning on putting some Torch Coral in my tank, in an attempt to get a pair of Ocellaris Clowns to host(Ocellaris are False Percula right?). I recall Ski mentioning Euphylla type corals, one of which being the Torch Coral.

EDIT: Haha, I was just reading through my thread (start to finish) to check to see if the bit about the corals was in there and I got a headache when I hit the bubble problem. Lol, I don't know how u guys put up with that. Thanks though! :good:

mmm, corals, my favorite topic :D. There are three types of common "polyps". Zooanthids (aka zoos), Palythoas (aka Zoas), and button polyps. Button polyps are usually large and plain looking (about the size of a dime or nickel). Zooanthids and palythoas have a little trick to telling them apart. When a palythoa is closed up it will have little markings that point towards the center of the closed up polyp, almoast like a star pattern on the underside of the head that only shows up when its closed. Zooanthids however have smooth colored undersides with no markings. USUALLY zooanthids are smaller than palythoas, but that isnt ALWAYS the case. The real telling thing is the markings. Also, usually palythoas grow and spread faster than zooanthids.

Euphylla genus corals are also good beginner corals. They are pretty tolerant of less than ideal or less than stable water conditions and are probably the easiest LPS (along with brains) to keep. The only drawback with Euphylla corals is that they are the most aggressive of the commonly available corals. If their tentacles contact anything other than another Euphylla coral, they will PROBABLY sting it and likely kill it. Still, they are very beautiful specemins. Common names for Euphylla genus corals are Torch, Froghspawn, Hammer, and Galaxea. Amongst those, torch corals look most like anemones. So much so that everyone who sees my torch coral and doesnt know about reef aquaria says, "ooh an anemone" :lol:

mmm, corals, my favorite topic :D. There are three types of common "polyps". Zooanthids (aka zoos), Palythoas (aka Zoas), and button polyps. Button polyps are usually large and plain looking (about the size of a dime or nickel). Zooanthids and palythoas have a little trick to telling them apart. When a palythoa is closed up it will have little markings that point towards the center of the closed up polyp, almoast like a star pattern on the underside of the head that only shows up when its closed. Zooanthids however have smooth colored undersides with no markings. USUALLY zooanthids are smaller than palythoas, but that isnt ALWAYS the case. The real telling thing is the markings. Also, usually palythoas grow and spread faster than zooanthids.

Euphylla genus corals are also good beginner corals. They are pretty tolerant of less than ideal or less than stable water conditions and are probably the easiest LPS (along with brains) to keep. The only drawback with Euphylla corals is that they are the most aggressive of the commonly available corals. If their tentacles contact anything other than another Euphylla coral, they will PROBABLY sting it and likely kill it. Still, they are very beautiful specemins. Common names for Euphylla genus corals are Torch, Froghspawn, Hammer, and Galaxea. Amongst those, torch corals look most like anemones. So much so that everyone who sees my torch coral and doesnt know about reef aquaria says, "ooh an anemone" :lol:

What do you mean it will likely kill anything it touches? Fish? Other coral? Inverts? My hand :crazy: ? The Euphylla were the type you mentioned that clowns are likely to host right?

EDIT: I think I'm more excited about corals than I am fish, lol.

I think that they can kill other coral sometimes ,inverts probly,your hand they will eat very slowly if you pet them i think.

Correct, they kill other corals with their "stings". Corals use Nematocysts in their flesh for defense/aggression. Nematocysts are tiny pockets of digestive enzymes stored near the outer skin of the coral. When it comes in contact with something else that it deems a threat, the coral will release these digestive enzymes to attack the threat. If its a sessile animal like another coral, sponge, algae, etc the coral will continue to release these nematocysts until the enemy is dissolved and dead. If its another coral, the one with the most nematocysts wins. Euphylla generally have the highest concentration of nematocysts. Corals rarely attack members of the same genus or species and are often similarly kind towards like specemins. For example, many LPS can touch each other without incident, softies can get in contact with one another, SPS can contact one another and things are usually OK. Its when you start mixing them up that you get a problem.

Coral nematocysts will also dissolve your hand if you pet them long enough ;). Its kind of like dipping your fingers in bleach... You can do it for a few minutes but eventually it'll errode away your skin. Most fish and inverts stay away from corals cause they can feel the stings too. Corals can eat dead fish though. I once saw a large open brain type coral consume a dead percula clownfish.

Hey every1!!! I'm back! Got back yesterday from a 12 day trip to Grenada. LOTS of fun. Great snorkeling (I'm not dive certified... yet :good: ) . Awesome time, but now I'm back and ready to add livestock to my tank! YAY. Did a big water change today, got some more snails (sand sifters) and a cleaner shrimp. I'm getting closer to scoring a job at my LFS too! Anyways, great to be back. See you guys around!

Got 2 false perculas today! They seem to be doing great. They are eating already too. I also spotted my first bristleworm in my tank today. It crawled out right after feeding time.

Most reactions

Back