Random question on my aquarium water…

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The creatures, brain eating amoebas, are mostly a bacteria eating organism (actually not amoebas). They are not normally pathogens on people. The cases I have read about are typically with people with some issue that makes it possible for them to infect people. They could be all around us but we never know because we are not exposed to enough at one time to overcome our natural resistance. Below is a quote from a site on the CDC on occurrences in the US:

Also from the CDC:

Given the last quote I think I will start to use a PFD for my water changes, don't want to drown.

Joking aside, I wouldn't worry about it in the slightest. But the House episode was pretty entertaining.

Contaminated tap water? Wow! Wonder if they had wells & not city water. That nasal irrigation always sounded very strange to me.

Nasal irrigation isn't uncommon. It is used to wash dust and pollen out of the sinuses. Normally you boil the water and add some salt and bicarb after it cools. Then use it several times a day to remove dust and other allergens from the sinuses.

You can buy nasal sprays/ washes from chemists, and they use them in hospital, but they use boiled/ sterilised or distilled water so you don't catch anything.

Nasal irrigation isn't uncommon. It is used to wash dust and pollen out of the sinuses. Normally you boil the water and add some salt and bicarb after it cools. Then use it several times a day to remove dust and other allergens from the sinuses.

You can buy nasal sprays/ washes from chemists, and they use them in hospital, but they use boiled/ sterilised or distilled water so you don't catch anything.
It must not be uncommon. Periodically a long ad runs on TV for a home device. Done with animations & looks like a form of water torture. Yours for 3 easy payments!

Putting salt water up your nose isn't too bad and it helps a lot with nasal congestion. Fresh water on the other hand is not very pleasant because the nasal membranes absorb the water due to the differences in osmotic solutions between the fluid in your body and the water. Its one of the reasons I prefer to kayak in the ocean rather than lakes and rivers.

It goes in through your nose and then to your brain .So that’s why I was wondering what if im doing a water change and the water splashes on me or something?? I know it’s probably a weird and unlikely question. But Idk. I just thought what if it was in my aquarium. Probably unlikely cause they are mostly found in rivers or bad water sources.
I hope the thread discussion relieved your concerns !

Nothing down here but drunken yobbos, chocodiles, drop bears, poisonous snakes, killer spiders, giant sharks, venomous platypus and wild dogs that steal kids :)
Those dingos! Forgot all about them! I’m scared now.

Dingos are fine if your more than 3 foot tall. It's the drunken yobbos and chocodiles that cause most problems. :)

Most reactions

Back