Random Musings On Genetics

Annastasia

s&b&tt
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Mmmkay...so I was looking at my Platy fry today. 2 came from my orange wagtail and my Rainbow male, and 1 came from my Hi-Fin Orange female.

The orange wagtail's fry are all orange wagtails. It appears they did not get any dominant traits from the Rainbow Platy. However, my orange Hi-Fin's kid is basically all Rainbow Platy, with just a few black stripes. This is making me wonder...is wagtail dominant over Rainbow? I'm supposing the fry carry Rainbow in them, so I'm wondering, should they turn out to be males/females, what would happen if I bred them. Would the wagtail continue to be dominant, or would I get the few Rainbows, and mostly wagtails? I'm probably going to try it, since I've never seen anything like this before. Mostly my crosses end up a mix.

Also, I have two more fry that were just born from my Hi-Fin, and they have all the Rainbow Platy markings and coloring so far. It appears she has no dominant colors. She is, however, basically a mutt fish. No special coloring. So I am wondering what she carries too. -_-

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows if wagtail is dominant over other colors too, or do I just have a very dominant fish? :p

I'll let you all know what happens should I breed brothers and sisters. Thanks for reading my ramble, I was just thinking about it.

Mmmkay...so I was looking at my Platy fry today. 2 came from my orange wagtail and my Rainbow male, and 1 came from my Hi-Fin Orange female.

The orange wagtail's fry are all orange wagtails. It appears they did not get any dominant traits from the Rainbow Platy. However, my orange Hi-Fin's kid is basically all Rainbow Platy, with just a few black stripes. This is making me wonder...is wagtail dominant over Rainbow? I'm supposing the fry carry Rainbow in them, so I'm wondering, should they turn out to be males/females, what would happen if I bred them. Would the wagtail continue to be dominant, or would I get the few Rainbows, and mostly wagtails? I'm probably going to try it, since I've never seen anything like this before. Mostly my crosses end up a mix.

Also, I have two more fry that were just born from my Hi-Fin, and they have all the Rainbow Platy markings and coloring so far. It appears she has no dominant colors. She is, however, basically a mutt fish. No special coloring. So I am wondering what she carries too. -_-

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knows if wagtail is dominant over other colors too, or do I just have a very dominant fish? :p

I'll let you all know what happens should I breed brothers and sisters. Thanks for reading my ramble, I was just thinking about it.

Rainbows are wag tails aren't they? If so then wag tails you'll get.

I have found that they are quite dominant though, as are Mickey Mouse Platys.

Oh. Right. I wonder why I didn't think of that. :lol: However, it seems the color didn't dominate over the orange. And the baby from the Hi-Fin has the color but not the fins. Confusing, confusing. :S

Ah, you're right about Mickey Mouse's. Anything I've ever bred with them has been all Mickey Mouse. Maybe a few other markings, but that's it.

Orange is also very dominant so that could explain it. I have bred many orange Platys with blues and they mostly turn out orange with a sheen from some blue scales, (if that makes sense!?!).

I bred a pink Mickey Mouse (father) with an orange wagtail. 14 juvies still surviving out of 3 batches. Very mixed results: some orange wagtails, some pink wagtails, some pinks with more comet-like tails, a couple approaching but not quite Mickeys, and several with odd black spots on their bodies and tails ranging from wagtails to comets. Mutts, the lot of them, but they look quite good, in their mongrel fashion. :wub: And at least they seem both healthier and brighter than their weak and helpless father; I suppose any fry that took after him mentally has been eaten long ago.

Most reactions

Back