Random Cory Death

deanrar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got 4 panda cories to go with my 2 tester pandas just to see if i could keep them and about 6 days now since i bought them and this morning all dead! for the days i had them they followed the bigger 2 or went off in their own pairs and seemed lively enough and i was so supprised, i have no idea what could have happened, any ideas?

I've just looked at my temp and its up to 77 degrees because of the heat in my room even with the door and windows open could that have killed them off if they were not used to that most thier life? and what would the optimal temp be for these little guys?

What is the water parameter they were in? Beside the temperature. And how long the tank was set up? And what is their tankmate? And what kind of water were they kept in the shop?

I'm sure the additional info would help. But here is my personal experience. Although they generally do better in lower side of temperature if they are not born and raised in other water parameter. And they do not take sudden change well, either the ph or temperature or even the difference of the degree of the agedness of the water.
And they do better with highly oxygenated water with nice current. I use powerhead for that. And you see them enjoy swim in the current.
Also some of the store bought Pandas are not hardy, especially the one come from the mega store chains in U.S. Also the stores find them tough to keep and they discoutinued to carry them anymore around my area. After all those mega chain have one of those central filter system and all the fish kept in same water parameters. And I bet the Panda didn't do well in typical community water for long.

I keep mine in un-heated tank with good filters(over-filtered) with nice water movement. In winter, they drop to high 60'sF but now it is getting warmer around here I think they are around 78F. But I think they would do better in low 70'S generally. And they are still making eggs. So they are not too unhappy about the Summer weather, I guess. But like I mentioned, they do not like sudden change even something better for them in long run. Once friend of mine lower the water temperature too quick and she lost many fish.

To me, you should get the Pandas from somebody locally breeding if it is possible. If you are in Seattle, I could hook you up with some young Pandas. Check the local aquarium society, sometime some member is breeding them and have some healthy young for sale. Also you can ask him/her the detail of the tank set up and maintenance.

To me, they would be hardy enough once they settled and kept in the right tank. And they even breed easy but you just have to get them healthy fish. And preferably kept in their own tank with nice group.

Good luck. They are cute fish and they were my favorite and still are. They may need little more TLC than regular more hardier Corys but it is worth it.:good:

great info thanks neoncory the tank is 34gal with sand substrate, the tankmates are 1 dwarf gourami (male), 1 female molly, 1 molluy fry and 3 guppy fry (trying to move out as i dont want any females for my other tank (male livebearer) to breed with, 2 yellow panchax, 1 kuhli and the 2 other pada cories. The tank has live plants and a cocnut shell and caves for them to hide in the temp is usually at around 75 but has been as high as 80 recently because of the weather ( i will be reducing the temp toi about 72 when the weather calms down how long and how many intervals do u recomend lowering from 75 to 72?). I do at least a 30% water change a week and gravel vac at the same time and the tank has 2 filters 1 overhead and an internal which gives a good current to over half the tank but leaves some reasonably still aswell. The water parameters gave me quite a shock actually, its the first time i tested them since i moved house ( about 3 weeks ago) to a much harder water area which i thought may have an effect but was still surprised with:
PH - 8 (was 7 at old house)
Amonia - 0
Nitrite- 0.25 and
Nitrate of 10, as i have nvere read above 0 since i bought the kit over 6 months ago (monthly tests or more).
i know ammonia, nitrite and nitrate should be 0 but when do they become dangerous?
I think thats all the info you asked for but let me know if there is anything else that can help or anything that can be changed to make the tank a panda haven just for future note.
Cheers,
Dean.

75F to 72 is not a really big change so I don't worry much. Probably you can re-set the heater to 72F and let the water cool down Naturally. And it shouldn't cause any problem. It is just like doing water change with cooler water.
However I do worry about your PH. 8 is pretty high. As you know each number go up or down from the nuetral 7, it is 10 times more alkaline or acidic. And in your case alkaline. And I know they prefer acidic side of water. I don't know how far you can acclimate or shop can. But I would try to look for the local breeder if I were you. Or if you are going to get more from the store, it probably best to find what water they are kept in the shop and how long they are in the shop. Longer the better so they had more time to acclimate your local water. Which the fish in the shop is usually kept. And I know Panda can be go out of the door quick since they are really popular.
But you probably should not mess with the fish have not been in the shop for at least a week. So they had chance to recover from the long shipping trip and time to acclimate to your local water. So they have better chance of surviving in your tank.

Also it is possible to lower the PH slowly by filter through the peat. But change have to be made slowly. Since changing ph is tricky. But PH8 is just seems so high, it probably fit better with some of the cichi*d.

This would make even better for you to find some local breeder and get the young fish from him/her or at least someone keeping them successfully and seek some advice. If the fish is born and raised in the same water, you do not need to worry about re-acclimating. Although breeding or life-span is probably another story.

But I do hope you can find someone in your area who has and kept Panda for a long time. And get some advice. If you are living in big enough city, they usually have some kind of aquarium society. And they may even have some web site you can post the question and some buy sell section.
Well good luck.

Most reactions

Back