Ram Not Eating Much?

Proxo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Basicually bought a ram about a 2 weeks ago now, he just isnt very interested in food :unsure:
At first i thought it was just him settling in but now i see him sucking bits up as to eat it but instantly spits it back out
he'll spend most of his time picking at a plant that most of the food will get stuck in as the plant is near filter outlet!

I've tried a few different types of food but still just does the same thing.
He's getting pretty skinny now though so now it's worry time :(

Should i maybe seperate him from the other fish & see if he'll eat to get his strength back up?

This is really odd. Mine has done the exact same thing is yours a Microgeophagus ramirezi (German blue ram)i bought 2 and they were both fine and eating well. Now one has began to loose weight and picks at food then spits it out im to getting kinda worried. I dont no weather to give him a salt bath maybe :sad:

Nope, no symptoms - everything looks fine to me.

I thought he was just a little scared to eat at first as there's a
bigger ram in there that give him a little hassle to start with but that's passed now.

just picks at the plant all day and night :unsure:

picking at food and spitting it out can be 1 of the signs of an internal problem such as intestinal parasites , but with no other symptoms present its hard to justify a diagnosis of that nature .

How about the water stats? If it's a German Blue they don't like stat fluctuations.

Water stats are;
pH: 6.6-6.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 40

I test before water changes, every week.

I've got a feeling it is internal parasites although but i've never seen any white stringy poo.
Apperantly garlic in food can help but i'm not exactly sure what garlic to use lol!

I dont suppose more freq water changes will help either?

Rams love 'meaty' foods - have you tried frozen live foods?

Rams love 'meaty' foods - have you tried frozen live foods?

frozen blood worm, although i dont think he managed to know what was going on during that feed.
gonna try seperate him for tonights feed, see how that goes!

If it is internal parasites, what'd be best thing to do?

If you can find it, try this:

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/gamma-improvit.asp

I have used the red tropical version and my bolivian rams like it.............mind, so do the other fish.
Managed to find it at Maidenhead Aquatics.

My biggest challenge with my Bolivians is to get the food down to them before the Neons, Glofish, Zebras, and Guppies scarf it down. I have sinking pellets that work well, but any time I try to feed frozen blood worms, hardly any makes it down to the Rams...

If you can find it, try this:

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/aquarium/gamma-improvit.asp

I have used the red tropical version and my bolivian rams like it.............mind, so do the other fish.
Managed to find it at Maidenhead Aquatics.

Sweet, i'll see if they have any of this at my Maidenhead Aquatics. :good:

My biggest challenge with my Bolivians is to get the food down to them before the Neons, Glofish, Zebras, and Guppies scarf it down. I have sinking pellets that work well, but any time I try to feed frozen blood worms, hardly any makes it down to the Rams...

That's what i thought the problem was to start with, there's alot bigger male ram in the tank with him & at first he did give him alot of hassle but that all settled down after about 2-3days.

the ram does seem pretty interested in the food but also seems a little paranoid during feeding time, i've seperated him and will be feeding shortly to see if he'll eat!

p.s is that seachem garlic guard worth a try/any good?

I've just put some tetra pro flake in with the ram (tiny few bits) and he didnt bother with it at all, went for it a little then backed off when he noticed what it was (Did this with my other brands of flake before i seperated him too)

I dropped a bit of bloodworm in with him after that and he didnt seem interested in that either was just hiding under floating plant!
So i got one of them "pipelets" from a white spot med box and stuck bloodworm on end then put it right infront of him and he took it..

Can a fish really be this paranoid during feed? :crazy:

if you think it is an internal parasite issu ( rams can be prone to flagellates) octozin by waterlife is probably about your best bet . garlic can help to boost the immune system and stimulate appetite .

I had a similar problem with some of my Tanganyikans a little while ago and it was suggested that I try some frozen brine shrimp in garlic........well what a result, they love it and I feed it to them daily now :good: :good:

Maidenhead aquatics sell the brineshrimp in garlic in blocks that you can cut and defrost as much as you need. Got to be worth a try ;)

Most reactions

Back