Rainbowfish: 1 Dead Last Night And One Gasping Near The Bottom.

14gtr14

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I checked my tank at around lunch and everything was ok and i went out. I came back in at around 8-9 and there was a dead female rainbowfish lying on the bottom with no fins. What i dont know is: were the fins nipped after it's death or before?

I checked the water parameters then and everything seemed fine. Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 ( my plants munch it like mad). I don't have an ammonia test just now, i ran out a couple of days ago. The pH was 6.5 to 7.

There was also another female rainbowfish gasping for air near the bottom.

This morning it's still gasping, but is occasionally swinging about.

Anyone know what's wrong?? Was it another fish? Is it a disease? It has only affected these two fish though so i doubt it's a water quality problem.

In the tank there are 3 swordtails one rtb two german rams, 4 corys, and now 10 rainbowfish (one gasping).

Could it have been a male rainbowfish being two aggressive towards them??

please reply soon!!

Gasping at the surface is bad water quality or parasites, check the gill to see if they look pale with excess mucas on them, or red and inflamed, check the body of the fish for grains of salt, or a yellow to golden dusting on them, fish can get flukes and you cannot see them with the naked eye.
Are the fish flicking and rubbing on objects, also when did you last add a fish to the tank, and any new live plants gone in.

Gasping at the surface is bad water quality or parasites, check the gill to see if they look pale with excess mucas on them, or red and inflamed, check the body of the fish for grains of salt, or a yellow to golden dusting on them, fish can get flukes and you cannot see them with the naked eye.
Are the fish flicking and rubbing on objects, also when did you last add a fish to the tank, and any new live plants gone in.

they werent gasping at the surface, but just gasping. As in, breathing alot! It only affected these two females and nothing else in the tank. The other female is now dead. All the other fish seem happy as usual. I really don't have a clue what was wrong with them!

Anyone have a clue??

If there was no signs of flicking and rubbing and they were resting on the bottom it sounds like a bacterial infection, did they bloat up or darken in colour.

Most reactions

Back