Quick Question Re. Measurement

LauraFrog

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I'm currently working on a website about keeping tropical fish (Best Fin Forward.) I'm working at the moment on a spreadsheet, similar to our Aquarium Calculator (conversions etc) but a little more complicated. This one will let you muck around with stocking (using a very, very large list of fish that I"m going to spend hours inputting!) to work out what will fit in your tank.

I'm planning on making three versions - US, UK and Australia/New Zealand. (Hopefully, the rest of the English-speaking world will be able to fit into there somewhere.)
The only differences will be the units used. Being Australian I grew up with litres, centimetres and degrees celsius. But I've spent so much time on here (where most members are US/UK) that I've learned to think almost as well in gallons and inches as the metric system. Just not temperature yet... working on the fahrenheit scale but I hate it. :blush:

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is: I can't remember who uses which temperature scale. So could somebody from the US and somebody from the UK come and tell me what you use? Thanks.

(IE:)
US version: US gallons / inches / ? degrees F ?
UK version: UK gallons / inches / ? degrees F ?
AU/NZ version: Litres / centimetres / degrees C

Laura
might seem a simple thing but could you not use a single calculas to display all parameters noted above in the same way the existing calculater allows you to select tank dimentions in cm and inches.
this could then display UK G , & US G and Litres as volume

and also display degrees C and Degrees F using basic formula

Good Luck with the website BTW :fish:

PS cant do websites but have a decent knowledge of lookup tables and formla's

Laura
might seem a simple thing but could you not use a single calculas to display all parameters noted above in the same way the existing calculater allows you to select tank dimentions in cm and inches.
this could then display UK G , & US G and Litres as volume

and also display degrees C and Degrees F using basic formula

Good Luck with the website BTW :fish:

PS cant do websites but have a decent knowledge of lookup tables and formla's

S.A. version: Litres / centimetres / degrees C / Pascal...... Also think what John says makes sense....

Yeah, I guess I could... I mean, it wouldn't be any harder, just a more cluttered viewing area. But it wouldnt' be too bad with the format I'm planning... might work. Gotta think about how I'd do it though...

I was planning on using vlookup but I'm not sure if it will be practical in case people misspell the name of a fish or try to use a different common name than I have entered, etc. My plan was that you enter the species and the number you plan on stocking and then the adult size would appear (vlookup:) and the total length calculated (#fish*adult size) The whole thing will need a bit of tweaking.

Site, such as it is, is online (has been for about a month): http://bestfinforward.fh50.com
There's a bit of content online in the beginner's section (I have four of the five MUST READs up), the betta section (housing bettas, betta myths and aggression explained) as well as the walkthrough on choosing species to stock in a tank. Heaps more coming up...

generally people in the UK use degrees C and people in the US use degrees F.
D

Just some comments on your site. The colours you've chosen don't work well together. Check the website below for colours that work best together. Hope you don't mind this input. I know I'd prefer to be told this for my sites.
D

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/

Laura
if you dig around there are charts/ sheets on teh web with fish names
some show both common and latin names and suitable tankmates and adult size
you may be able to "borrow" these to assist is starting your spreadsheet and save you some time on building your fish list

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/freshwater_c...ility_chart.php may be a good basic starting point for compatability checks

you might be able to lift & shift this data into a spreadsheet for future ref

Brits more often than not use litres,

then there seem to be a big divide for the other two,

The younger generations tend to use centimetres as that is the measurement that is now taught in schools, However old generations still use inches,
printed measurements and sizes are in centimetres,

Again younger people use degrees C whilst older generations still use Fahrenheit.

Working in a LFS means i need to know both

Edit: Lol, forgot i was browsing old threads

Most reactions

Back