Question on something I heard

Bobdole10

Reaction score
I was looking into starting my tank and went to the my LFS and asked them about some of the products listed here for a planted tank I was told they never heard of them and suggested just topsoil and sand? I asked why and he replyed because plants like soil. Just wanted to see what the group would say about regular top soil in my tank and should i try it?

thanks for any info
JEREMY

Absolutely not.

The soil will contain all sorts of toxins and contaminants, and the organic part of the soil will float and you will end up with horrible tank.

Most good aquarium shops will sell aquarium compost which is contaminant free and ideal for plants and mud loving fish, however sand or gravel in a mature tank is still fine for succesful aquatic plant growing.

SirMinion said:
Absolutely not.

The soil will contain all sorts of toxins and contaminants, and the organic part of the soil will float and you will end up with horrible tank.

Most good aquarium shops will sell aquarium compost which is contaminant free and ideal for plants and mud loving fish, however sand or gravel in a mature tank is still fine for succesful aquatic plant growing.
i would not take that advice from your lfs .. but i would go back and let that person know what you have learned so he doesn't make that mistake with someone who may not know to ask anything different... i know if i made that mistake i would sure like someone to come back and let me know that was my mistake for sure.. i work the lfd and i have really learned alot here...

Most reactions

Back