Question On Albino Catfish!

Kingsnorky

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey, I have a extra five gallon tank, and I love Albino catfish so I am going to get some a few questions!

Number One: How meny can be in a five gallon, and be happy?

Number Two: Can it just be all albinos or do they need another kind of fish in there?

Number Three: If so what kind of fish do they "perfer"?

Number Four: If they don't need another fish do they eat anything or can I feed them anything so they can be heathly?

Number Five: What is a good temp for them?

Number Six: Should there be a filter?

Number Seven: Should there be a air pump in there?

Thanks if you can answer my questions!

Assuming that you mean albino bronze corydoras.

Number One: How meny can be in a five gallon, and be happy? None. They grow to 2-3 inches and need to be in schools of 4-5 so you can see for yourself that that won't work. 10 gallons is a bare minimum. They also like to dart around, which they wouldn't have much room for in a 5 gallon.

Number Two: Can it just be all albinos or do they need another kind of fish in there? They can be on their own or with other fish, being peaceful and relatively sturdy- but not in that tank.

Number Three: If so what kind of fish do they "perfer"? Anything that is small and peaceful enough not to eat them.

Number Four: If they don't need another fish do they eat anything or can I feed them anything so they can be heathly? They need special catfish tablets or pellets with additional treats of live food (bloodworms, daohnia) and vegetables. They can not live on algae.

Number Five: What is a good temp for them? Normal tropical temperatures, c. 24 C

Number Six: Should there be a filter? Yes.

Number Seven: Should there be a air pump in there? Wouldn't hurt- but remember you can;t do this in a 5 gallon tank.

Assuming that you mean albino bronze corydoras.

Number One: How meny can be in a five gallon, and be happy? None. They grow to 2-3 inches and need to be in schools of 4-5 so you can see for yourself that that won't work. 10 gallons is a bare minimum. They also like to dart around, which they wouldn't have much room for in a 5 gallon.

Number Two: Can it just be all albinos or do they need another kind of fish in there? They can be on their own or with other fish, being peaceful and relatively sturdy- but not in that tank.

Number Three: If so what kind of fish do they "perfer"? Anything that is small and peaceful enough not to eat them.

Number Four: If they don't need another fish do they eat anything or can I feed them anything so they can be heathly? They need special catfish tablets or pellets with additional treats of live food (bloodworms, daohnia) and vegetables. They can not live on algae.

Number Five: What is a good temp for them? Normal tropical temperatures, c. 24 C

Number Six: Should there be a filter? Yes.

Number Seven: Should there be a air pump in there? Wouldn't hurt- but remember you can;t do this in a 5 gallon tank.

Thanks, I'll save up for a ten gallon. :nod:

Hi Kingsnorky :)

Better still, why not get your mom interested in fishkeeping too? It's a great hobby that the whole family can share in together. With all the different kinds of fish available, there is something that would appeal to everyone! She can join the forum too. :thumbs:

Where do you live in New York? I live on Long Island, and have found the best place to buy tanks (lowest price) is Petland Discounts. They have very nice 10 gallon starter kits for less than $30. Their other items are not priced as well, but the kit will have everything you really need to get started. Another good place to shop is Petsmart, if you have one near you. They match the price on their online website if you print it out and bring it to their store.

I know you will enjoy keeping corys once you get a good tank started, and I hope to be seeing more of your posts on the forum. :D

Hi Kingsnorky :)

Better still, why not get your mom interested in fishkeeping too? It's a great hobby that the whole family can share in together. With all the different kinds of fish available, there is something that would appeal to everyone! She can join the forum too. :thumbs:

Where do you live in New York? I live on Long Island, and have found the best place to buy tanks (lowest price) is Petland Discounts. They have very nice 10 gallon starter kits for less than $30. Their other items are not priced as well, but the kit will have everything you really need to get started. Another good place to shop is Petsmart, if you have one near you. They match the price on their online website if you print it out and bring it to their store.

I know you will enjoy keeping corys once you get a good tank started, and I hope to be seeing more of your posts on the forum. :D

Wow! Only 30 dollars?
There's no Petland near us, but there is a Petsmart I'll check that out, and my mom is interest in fish (She likes the albinos too) but I have alot of tanks,and it's hard to get her to let me get one. :X but I'll try, and see if she will pitch in. :)

P.S I live in Upstate NewYork.

I agree on Petsmart. I was looking at filters for my new tank and they were 10 dollars cheapier then any other place. All the other stuff was cheaper too (plants, sand, gravel, etc.) Now their fish are a little on the pricey side.

Most reactions

Back