Question about seachem Malawi/ Victoria buffer

AmyKieran

Fish Herder
Reaction score
On the packaging it says

‘Use as required to maintain ph, usually no more than once every two to three weeks’

Should I follow this or just do it every water change?

I would not use this. What is the GH of the water? I recall from another thread that the GH was too low, but I don't remember how you solved the problem. Buffers are not going to help, and it is just another chemical substance getting into the fish.

I would not use this. What is the GH of the water? I recall from another thread that the GH was too low, but I don't remember how you solved the problem. Buffers are not going to help, and it is just another chemical substance getting into the fish.

Well my tap water gh is 3 but I buffer it using seachem rift lake salt so my tank gh is 16

The other predicament I have is that ;

It’s raised my ph to 8 which is good, but my kh to only 9

I don’t want to add anymore because I think it’ll raise the ph too high

Use the rift lake mineral salts, and nothing else. A GH of 16 dH (assuming this is in degrees and not ppm) is fine. The KH of 9 dKH is fine. The pH of 8 is fine. At each water change, mix the salts into the fresh water before adding it to the aquarium, and maintain these numbers. This should cause no problems. The GH and KH should maintain the pH around 8 (some fluctuation is OK provided it is not significant).

Use the rift lake mineral salts, and nothing else. A GH of 16 dH (assuming this is in degrees and not ppm) is fine. The KH of 9 dKH is fine. The pH of 8 is fine. At each water change, mix the salts into the fresh water before adding it to the aquarium, and maintain these numbers. This should cause no problems. The GH and KH should maintain the pH around 8 (some fluctuation is OK provided it is not significant).

I only have the kh and ph as a result of the Malawi buffer though, ph is normally 7 and kh is normally 3

I only have the kh and ph as a result of the Malawi buffer though, ph is normally 7 and kh is normally 3

OK, in that case to avoid using "buffer" chemi8cals, use a calcareous mineral which you can place in a nylon mesh bag in the filter. Yers ago I had 2 or 3 tablespoons of dolomite in the filter, and the pH which was below 5 in the source water remained at 6.5 for years. You can vary the amount of whatever stone you use. This is natural and thus safer. I used dolomite, some people used other forms of calcium.

OK, in that case to avoid using "buffer" chemi8cals, use a calcareous mineral which you can place in a nylon mesh bag in the filter. Yers ago I had 2 or 3 tablespoons of dolomite in the filter, and the pH which was below 5 in the source water remained at 6.5 for years. You can vary the amount of whatever stone you use. This is natural and thus safer. I used dolomite, some people used other forms of calcium.

I currently use crushed coral in my filters do you think i should switch it to dolomite instead ?

I currently use crushed coral in my filters do you think i should switch it to dolomite instead ?
If you can find dolomite, yes. It is calcium and magnesium so that is another benefit. Crushed coral, shells, are just calcium. Though I am sure the rift lake mineral salts contain magnesium. I more recently used aragonite. The amount of any of these you need depends; I started with a couple tablespoons, and monitored the pH over a couple weeks, then added more, monitored pH, etc.

If you can find dolomite, yes. It is calcium and magnesium so that is another benefit. Crushed coral, shells, are just calcium. Though I am sure the rift lake mineral salts contain magnesium. I more recently used aragonite. The amount of any of these you need depends; I started with a couple tablespoons, and monitored the pH over a couple weeks, then added more, monitored pH, etc.

Okay well where should I go now in terms of Malawi buffer? My ph and kh is good but if I don’t use it then the ph will drop over water changes and so will kh?

The coral rubble in the tank should stop the pH dropping. If it doesn't, add some more or add some limestone rocks.

Okay well where should I go now in terms of Malawi buffer? My ph and kh is good but if I don’t use it then the ph will drop over water changes and so will kh?
Yes, unless you do small water changes and even then, it will drop until it stabilizes and the same with every water change.

Last edited:
I only ever use limestone as the substrate for African Cichlids and have never had a problem.

The coral rubble in the tank should stop the pH dropping. If it doesn't, add some more or add some limestone rocks.

I already have 1.5 kg of crushed coral in my filter and 25kg of ocean rock in my tank, is this likely to keep ph the same? It never impacted my ph, kh or gh ever

Remember crushed coral and ocean rock aren't freshwater things. Limestone is a freshwater thing.

Most reactions

Back