Question About Filters And Bacteria

Carbon does make a good home for bacteria, so you could just leave it, but then you lose some bacteria if you have to take it out, to medicate for instance.

It's just wasting money; replace it with more 'normal' media; sponge or noodles, whatever fits in your filter best.

ok, i will do that. think i know where to pick up some more media from anyways.

Question, I have a carbon filter and I'm about done with my cycle. If I were to convert to "normal" media as flutter puts it where should I place it? I have a gap behind my carbon that I could. Also when should I replace it? When should I take the carbon out?

You should put the new media as near to end of the filtration process as you can, if possible. I'd change it now so the bacteria has a chance to colonise the new media before your want to put fish in. It shouldn't take long; a few days at most probably.

Coarse sponge or ceramic noodles are best as they clog less and so need less washing :good:

I think the way a tank should smell is something like a greenhouse. Very earthy.
good.gif

Very well said! The should have the "tank" smell, which I find kinda nice smelling :D while my husband thinks it smells nasty, hah!

I have a 10 gallon tank with Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 power filter. Instead of using the Aqueon carbon filter cartridge, would it be possible to use something like Aqua Clear filter foam insert with a biomax filter insert as a substitute?

yes, if you cut the foam down to size then it will fit!

I have the same filter as you giant. I am thinking of getting Filter Fiber instead of the carbon. Also what does the bio-max thing do and where do you put it in your filter?

I have the same filter as you giant. I am thinking of getting Filter Fiber instead of the carbon. Also what does the bio-max thing do and where do you put it in your filter?

The AquaClear Filter Insert BioMax that I will be using does this according to the box:
AquaClear BioMax Filter Insert contains BioMax ceramic rings. The surface of BioMax is made up of a complex pore system that allows bacteria to thrive. Each ceramic ring contains at least 100 square feet of surface area providing more biological power than a traditional cartridge. Use of the BioMax insert will provide optimal living space for beneficial bacteria and enhance the removal of ammonia and nitrites resulting in a healthy aquarium environment.

AquaClear also makes a filter foam insert that I plan to use together with the BioMax. AquaClear also makes an ammonia remover filter insert that I am using in my other 10 gallon tank to decrease ammonia levels but it's hard to fit in behind the Aqueon filter as the space is very limited. I had to remove all the pellets out and then put the bag along the side of the filter and then add some of the pellets back. This way the water will pass it first and then pass through the filter cartridge.

The BioMax would go behind the filter foam insert.

OK thanks! I just found out that there is a bio-grid for the filter that we have. I wasn't sure what it was but now I know! It is used for holding the beneficial bacteria. That means I can replace the filter pad without "seeding" the next one. I also have a prefilter sponge that I use to help grow the beneficial bacteria too.

Most reactions

Back