Question About Breeding

Willdrafter

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I understand that almost inevitably during the maturing process, male Betta fry will need to be separated, as they will start to show aggression, (although interestingly enough the guy at my LFS claims he knows a breeder who has a batch of home-bred fully matured Betta siblings in a 4ft tank, none of whom show aggression towards each other). However how do breeders, particularly those who live in colder climates like the UK, keep individual jars at a steady and warm temperature? I've heard that some people just put cups in the tanks, and thusly are warmed by the single heater in the tank... is this true?
Thanks!

Yes this is true a friend of mine uses 2l pop bottles sat in her 4ft tank keeping them all warm on 1 heater :)

I understand that almost inevitably during the maturing process, male Betta fry will need to be separated, as they will start to show aggression, (although interestingly enough the guy at my LFS claims he knows a breeder who has a batch of home-bred fully matured Betta siblings in a 4ft tank, none of whom show aggression towards each other). However how do breeders, particularly those who live in colder climates like the UK, keep individual jars at a steady and warm temperature? I've heard that some people just put cups in the tanks, and thusly are warmed by the single heater in the tank... is this true?
Thanks!
There has been some articles that claim that some bred males can be kept together due to being with each other for their live i thought it was rubbish but i have heared of a few people acc doing this meh proberly just luck

I have mine in 2L bottles in 80litre tubs floating in heated water.
Then moved to 5.5Litre tanks, again floated in long tubs that are heated.
As lilfishie said :)

I see, that's a good idea, maybe breeding might be feasible after all. Do you just keep all the females together until you sell them? And also, where did you get the little 5.5 litre tanks? :)

I see, that's a good idea, maybe breeding might be feasible after all. Do you just keep all the females together until you sell them? And also, where did you get the little 5.5 litre tanks? :)

I bought them in bulk from eBay. I also have a 12 section barracks system so I have plenty of room for fry.
Yeah I kept the females together and separated the males, I ended up with only 18 females and 53 males so the females weren't really my problem :)

I bought them in bulk from eBay. I also have a 12 section barracks system so I have plenty of room for fry.
Yeah I kept the females together and separated the males, I ended up with only 18 females and 53 males so the females weren't really my problem :)

So the Bettas are okay with the 5.5 litre tanks? How long do they stay in there for? (Sorry for all the questions... I'm just interested :))

They were in there until they were sold so only months old, its not a permanent tank. You know the size of the betta as you have your male from me.

I had a rotation depending on the size of the individual betta. 1.5litre barracks, 2Litre bottle or 5.5litre tank :D

They were in there until they were sold so only months old, its not a permanent tank. You know the size of the betta as you have your male from me.

I had a rotation depending on the size of the individual betta. 1.5litre barracks, 2Litre bottle or 5.5litre tank :D

So effectively, you just heated all of the said tanks with a single heater? In the photos of the 5.5 litre tanks, it looks like they are sitting on their own though, unheated?

What photos??

I had a long shallow tub that held 6 of the 5.5L tanks. The tub had about 4" of water in it and a heater. This kept all the water in the tanks heated..

How do you prepare the 2 litre bottle? Do you just cut the top off?

Thanks!

Behaviorally speaking, I tend to think of Bettas like the "fish version" of fightingcocks. Here in HI we have a sting Asian influence community and that is still widely practiced... I breed ornamental roosters, and while they are not of "sport" bloodlines, the breeds I keep (Modern Games and Sumatras) originally started out as fighting birds. I am making the comparison because the "management" of the two is not dissimilar AND because I know for a fact that (with the birds at least) a large part of their aggression issues stems from their management.

A cockfighting program, separates the males but keeps them close to eachother. Basically when you are not in the city and you see a bunch of barrels lined up in regularly spaced rows, you know what that guy is doing! The barrels are the shelters for his roosters that are all on leg leashes attached to their barrel, their leashes prevent them from being able to reach eachother. Buy the roosters grow up with a strong territorial instinct and a complete inability to establish a pecking order, so he has his patch that IS HIS but he can't ever interact and establish his dominance (or submissiveness) to any other bird... He basically develops king syndrome, since he always rules HIS spot unchallenged. When they Fight them, or breed them, is the ONLY time he ever gets to interact with his peers.

Now here is where this tangent is going: I have a photograph of 7 roosters, all mature adults in full breeding condition and all harem masters, laying in the sun together peacefully as can be! They almost Never fight... They only really chase or display aggression at each other when one rooster is stealing another's hen... Then it's a quick chase and that's all it ever amounts to.

My theory is that the boys grew up together and interact with eachother NATURALLY! They establish and maintain their relationships and boundaries... And once their dominance is determined, the pecking order sort of keeps things peaceful.

Now that relates to Bettas in that they are more or less managed the same way, for very similar reasons (territorial natures) and I have heard of situations (in tanks LARGE enough) where multiple males have been peacefully housed together FOR YEARS. And you also have to figure that in the wild, they aren't hunting eachother down to slay eachother, each male stakes out his patch and defends it from "intruders"... As long as no one "trespasses" in "his yard" he is pretty much peaceful. I am not saying it's advisable to try, but theoretically in a 55g tank you could set it up so that two males never had to see eachother. (when my male was in my 30 gallon Long tank, he never really left the corner, he claimed his plants and rock below them, and he just hung out by them all the time.)

Anyway, I'm just saying there are probably good reasons that is CAN work to keep a tank of males without them destroying eachother... I'm not planning on trying it, but I think PART of the aggression tendencies they have are AMPLIFIED by the way we manage them (in social isolation, unable to develop a pecking order) so if they were allowed to behave and develop more naturally they probably would not develop the full "destroy my rival" territorial thing if they never get an opportunity to
ESTABLISH territory to begin with (whether it be from competition with others or just not being able to secure "a home of their very own") kind of like how an awful lot of pet stores keep male Plakats in groups labeled as "females" without them all killing eachother...

It's just a thought, and what leads me to form it...
:)

Most reactions

Back