Question About Blue-Eye Rainbows

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

M!NK

Reaction score
I'm really interested in getting some blue-eye Rainbowfish, but the nano varieties I'm looking at are all gorgeous! I was wondering if mixing these certain species (Gertrude's Spotted Blue-Eye Rainbowfish, Forktailed Blue-Eye Rainbowfish, and Red Neon Rainbowfish) into a school would be possible as they're all peaceful and I've heard that people have success with it. Any thoughts? Think it could work? If not, I'll just force myself to settle for one species.

I say if you've heard of success with it why not give it a go? But that's just me, I'm pretty new at this

Personally I would keep just one species. I do understand that choosing is hard and a couple of each sounds like a compromise, but fish always do better with a larger group of their own species.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What's the scientific name of the red neon rainbow?

-------------------------
You can mix different rainbowfish as long as they are similar size. However, they will hybridise so if you want to breed them, put them in a single species tank.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What's the scientific name of the red neon rainbow?

-------------------------
You can mix different rainbowfish as long as they are similar size. However, they will hybridise so if you want to breed them, put them in a single species tank.
Thank you for the response! I will have my water tested soon.

Edit*: It's a planted, fully cycled 10 gallon. The red neon is the one I've decided I'll stick to if water parameters allow it and the scientific name is Pseudomugil Luminatus. Absolutely gorgeous nano fish.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back