Question About Ammonia

Maxamus

Reaction score
i am about to start my fishless cycle but i dont know what type of ammonia i need and where i can get it. I know this probably sounds like a noobish question. Is it just normal ammonia or is it special aquarium ammonia and wher can i get it.

Thanks
Maxamus

Any Ammonia product that doesn't have any added chemicals or perfumes. If you can get your hands on research grade ammonia this is perfect but otherwise you can get an ammonia source from a hardware store. When you do find some and want to test if its suitable give the bottle a shake. If the solution foams its not the right stuff to use. You should be able to shake the bottle and not get any bubble/suds forming.

Try searching the internet for Ammonium Hydroxide or Ammonium Chloride. Being in Australia you may be able to buy this off the internet without a special licence...

...and of course the household ammonia is just as good!! There is no special aquarium version. Its a tough thing to find really but once you do get some its worth having for future fishless cycles!!

You could do a cycle using fish if you cant get any ammonia from any store (some people might suggest using fish flakes as a source of ammonia but there is no way to measure how much ammonia the decaying flakes will release)

There are fish which are known to be hardy and can be used to cycle a tank...I cant for the life of me remember which ones but I do know some use Tiger barbs...I wouldn't suggest this unless you want to have semi-aggressive fish in your tank after it has been cycled and is ready for other fish!! :)

Read the forum for hardy fish if that is a route that you must follow if your unsuccessful with the ammonia search!!

Check out this link, it says that you can buy ammonia in supermarkets in Australia.
http://www.fishforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t38840.html

You need ammonia that is only ammonia and water. Chleating agents are ok as they just keep the mixture "mixed". It can't have soap, perfumes or surfactants. If the label doesn't have ingredients, shake the bottle. If you get foam, it is no good. A few air bubbles that disappear immediately are ok. As mentioned, if you can't find ammonia, fish flakes will work but they just take time to break down and form ammonia.

Most reactions

Back