Purchased Drift Wood Care

omega59

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hello. Last night for the first time i have purchased a very nice piece of drift-wood. I left it soaking overnight but when can i place it into my aquarium, and what care is required before adding to the aquarium.

Good scrub with a clean non soap pad (just warm water), rinse well and pop it in the tank mate

Hello. Last night for the first time i have purchased a very nice piece of drift-wood. I left it soaking overnight but when can i place it into my aquarium, and what care is required before adding to the aquarium.

I did that i had lovely brown water took me ages to get rid of it.

I have been told to leave it stand in warm water for a couple of days/weeks changing the water whenever it gets dirty.

Untill the tanis stops coming out

sorry i forgot to mention it is a piece of Manzanita Wood.Okay so i have to keep changing the water until it appears clearer. Then this means the tanis will not release into my aquarium causing acid and the PH to go off balance.

Soak it for a few days and then give it a good scrub and chuck it in. If after you have soaked it the water is really brown then keep soaking it and change the water every day until the water isn't very brown. The tannins won't do any harm to your tank, they are beneficial to the plants and fish, but they turn your water dark brown for a while. If you do weekly water changes then the tannins will disappear after a while.

You Shouldn't get many tannins from manzanita wood, you get more from mopani and bogwood.

cheers :good:

oh i see. i just changed the bucket of water i had it in, and it is super brown lol. i will let it sit for another day.

Keep changing it soon as the water goes brown.

I just got some from my LFS from there fish tank. so its been soaked already and come with java moss on it.

The water is still showing brown but it is slightly less. Going to just keep at it.

i jet washed mine in the garden for about an hour until no more bits came off but in all fairness my drift wood i dragged out of the river so its just pieces of broken or chopped of tree i liked the look ov as at my lfs a piece for my tank will set me back about £80 which for wood i cant grant paying :D

So you know, the tannins leaching in your tank is not a bad thing at all. Very natural to most of the fish we keep, and it isn't a violent pH swing, it is slow. Some people (me included) enjoy the tea color that it puts off. Very natural

yes i understand it wont harm the fish. but i dont like seeing my water dirty lol. it was placed int he tank 2 nights ago, and its doing well. my other question is... what type of string/wire can i use to hold my plants to it such as the Anubias barteri.

Cotton thread or fishing line (make sure the fish can't get trapped between it and the wood :crazy: ) , or, my prefered method; superglue; much neater and easier :good:

My water turned a light brown colour lol, i will be changing it shortly. Thanks I will be using cotton thread. :)

Just an update. this wood is sitting in the bucket still making the water brown. been doing a water change once a week or so. But now i noticed its starting to stink like eggs LOL. What to do next?

Most reactions

Back