Pufferfish, What Do You Know About Them?

426HEMI

Reaction score
I'm interested in eventually getting one, and I'm curious to know as much as I can about them.

What set-up, Freshwater, Brackish Water or Saltwater?

PS. saltwater is the best :p

Well, no. Because there are more species of freshwater puffer traded than saltwater. Obviously it depends what kind you want to keep though...

Scroll down to the oddball forum, i've written a couple of threads on puffers in there. I've kept quite a few types, my biggest being my fahaka which is about the size of a rugby ball in a 150g.

it might be a common question but whats the point in showing him to Google? If Google was the response then there would be no fish forums!!!

I guess the "sticky threads" on the odd ball forums be a good start

Well, no. Because there are more species of freshwater puffer traded than saltwater. Obviously it depends what kind you want to keep though...

Scroll down to the oddball forum, i've written a couple of threads on puffers in there. I've kept quite a few types, my biggest being my fahaka which is about the size of a rugby ball in a 150g.

where did i say puffer? I said saltwater tanks are the best. And note th :p at the end. Saltwater puffers IMO look better, especially porcupine fish which are closely related to puffers. I like saltwater puffers a lot more than the other puffers of brackish and fresh. And i didnt say saltwater had more species, i jsut said saltwater is better, why are you bringing species numbers in?

Although saltwater puffers are good, I wouldn't recommend them for beginners. IMO the best begginner Puffer are the freshwater South Americans Colomesus asellus. Hardier and less aggressive than most puffers, the only problem you are likely faced with is their fast growing teeth. This can easily be combated with the regular addition of snails and cuttlefish bone, if worst happens they may have to be cut manually by a qualified vet. One of their most important benefits is their ability to be kept with some community species, most can be kept with them apart from slow moving fish and those with long fins.

Although saltwater puffers are good, I wouldn't recommend them for beginners. IMO the best begginner Puffer are the freshwater South Americans Colomesus asellus. Hardier and less aggressive than most puffers, the only problem you are likely faced with is their fast growing teeth. This can easily be combated with the regular addition of snails and cuttlefish bone, if worst happens they may have to be cut manually by a qualified vet. One of their most important benefits is their ability to be kept with some community species, most can be kept with them apart from slow moving fish and those with long fins.

You dont need a vet to cut SAP "teeth" thats done by the owner. What a waste of money it would be to take to the vet, and regardless of the diet you WILL need to address the "teeth". Its not hard doing it yourself, theres plenty of info on it, including this forum

you wont have to manualy cut the beak. if you feed snails regulary (every other day or so) then you wont have to.

you wont have to manualy cut the beak. if you feed snails regulary (every other day or so) then you wont have to.

Thats not necessarily true. I know a few people who feed nothing but snails etc and still have to manually trim the bill once or twice yearly.

where did i say puffer? I said saltwater tanks are the best. And note th :p at the end. Saltwater puffers IMO look better, especially porcupine fish which are closely related to puffers. I like saltwater puffers a lot more than the other puffers of brackish and fresh. And i didnt say saltwater had more species, i jsut said saltwater is better, why are you bringing species numbers in?

Porcupine fish are puffers. They're from the family of tetraodons along with the majority of the freshwater puffers as well. As for why you've gone off on a tangent and assuming I've personally attacked you, I have no idea. There is no need to be confrontational in such a straight forward thread.

The SAP are pretty cool fish. I have three of them in my community 55g and they are very funny to watch. All they do is investigate things and try to swim into the current. I just got a 120 g and I'm thinking of putting a fahaka into it. I'm just not sure If I want to use that whole tank on 1 fish.

from my experience with freshwater puffers I've learned this
mbu and fahaka = expensive and needs a massive tank (fahaka being the nicest looking puffer you can get in my opinion)
dwarf puffer = assholes, they nip at everything and wear down other fish
figure 8 / spotted = easiest to care for, add some salt, give them snails a couple times a week...usually get along with other fish as long as they're not slow or have long fins
red eye = pretty aggressive , seems to hate other fish and from my experience more prone to disease than the other puffers

for a beginner, go with the figure 8, the dwarf or pea puffer may be a little hardier but they will torture your other fish

hope that helps

Most reactions

Back