Puffer fish won't eat

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Metroplex contains Metronidazole, which is an anti-biotic designed for people and should only be used to treat known bacterial infections. It should not be used to treat external protozoan infections on fish. Especially when the safest way to treat whitespot is with heat.

Improper use and mis-use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that are killing people, birds, fish and animals all over the world.

Encouraging people to use anti-biotics for something other than a known bacterial infection is wrong and bad for every animal on the planet.

When I get out of work I'll look though my puffer notebook and tell you what I did exactly and what I used along with when. Puffers are very sensitive to ick and parasites especially if they're wild caught. I take it you haven't deparasited as well?
Yah I heard ich x is fine for scaleless fish. I woke up this morning and didn’t see any it getting worse. Ich should be really aggressive and spread fast, so maybe I misdiagnosed, but I still have no idea. Pictures won’t really help because the spots are so small and suttle that I doubt a picture could even show it. I’m going to continue to treat for the time being.

I had a minor ich outbreak and it lead into killing a solid 10 puffer over a month and a half of me treating with everything else was a nightmare really until I tried experimenting. Used my uv filters evicted my other fish out of my breeding rack to quarantine them all. All the resources I put into saving them was ridiculous tbh and I still feel sorry for all the ones that didn't make it. Puffers are super sensitive to the fungus and really any illness at all and after that I'd go all in early while their healthy and strong and kill it as soon as possible. Heat and water changes help too to a degree but I'd use medicine baths for a few hours for treating saved the rest of my puffers from the brink.

Alright. my plan is to dose every 24 hours with ich-x and gravel vac/ do 1/3 water changes before every treatment. the temperature is at 80 degrees F. I'm kinda just following aquarium co-ops routine when they treat for ich and most people said that it should take 3-4 days for the fish to be ich free, but i will treat it for a few days after. how does it sound?

Could you attach a picture?
FFDB7840-94B0-4C4F-951C-881439492DB6.png
Look at his back upper fin

Oh you got a spotted congo puffer! I though you had the traditional congo puffer the more predatory species. She is a good looking fish btw. Any plans of a community tank with her? Oh places to hide help the spotted Congo's destress and make them feel safer in they're environment which can lead to them being more active, personable and healthier. Idk if you've kept puffers before but they are some of the best fish to keep just gotta keep them entertained so they won't be aggressive.

Last edited:
Oh you got a spotted congo puffer! I though you had the traditional congo puffer the more predatory species. She is a good looking fish btw. Any plans of a community tank with her? Oh places to hide help the spotted Congo's destress and make them feel safer in they're environment which can lead to them being more active, personable and healthier. Idk if you've kept puffers before but they are some of the best fish to keep just gotta keep them entertained so they won't be aggressive.
Right now i have her with a school of cherry barbs who just kinda wait for her to eat and take the scraps that fly around in the water around her. Right now my tank has tons of hiding spots, including pots and rocks. I have a few amazon swords and crypts, but I’m getting a lot more plants soon. She has warmed up to her new tank in no time. She eats everything and follows my fingers. I’m starting to think that I misdiagnosed it as ich because the spots on her fin are starting to look less circular and more like a little fin damage from store puffer tank or other puffers that nipped her fins a bit. For now I’m just going to treat a few more days and if nothing gets worse or improved I might just ask a few more people and call off the treatment. Also yes this is my first puffer and you are prob wondering “that’s expensive for a first puffer”. Well I was going to get a dragon puffer, but everywhere I went they were sold out or shipping was insane, so I asked a youtuber who lives in my area of he knew any places that have true freshwater puffers. He told me about a store 20 min away from me that was selling baby mbu and Congo spotted puffers for $70. I couldn’t let up that offer for the Congo.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back