• Mini Reef (between 30g & 150g)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef (over 150g)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Back when I first got into marines everybody was doing big tanks and there were very few Nano's around. I'm just curious as to what the feeling is out there - is Nano the way to go and big reefs are fading away or is it more a question of if I could I would but I can't?

I've done them all at one time or another and when i've settled down in a house i'll have them all again :D

BIG :hey:

We have a nano and perhaps its the most succssful of the 2 tanks but im afraid i love the large reef. :wub:

I see so many large reef's with all manor of equipment to ajust this and that all on timers, this would be what I'm aming for somthing large and built-it. As the nano's go I think there a loverly Idea but all the worring I do about a 40 somthing like a 10 would have me worring non-stop

Right now I have a 75g fish only and a 55g reef. Soon I'll be getting a 125g - an upgrade for all the fish in the 75g. I don't think I would want the 125 to be a reef, I honestly don't think I could afford it! :no:

I've done the nano reef tanks before. One of my favorites was a 20g tall. Very nice tank, easy to aquascape, easy to provide good lighting, fairly easy to maintain, and it looked really good too. I also had a regular 20g, a 29g and a 5g. Of those, I liked the 5g the least as it was so much work, it was too small to keep much in there, etc...
I wouldn't mind having another 20 tall but right now I have no plans for another saltwater tank. :no: (aside from the upgrade that is!) ;)

I wish i could go up to a Huge reef tank :/

I love my nano already even without any corals in but the choice is so limited in such a small tank. I'd love to own regal tang or powder blue, so a large tank is a must for me. Just wish i could afford it.....:(

Mark my words, some day I will have a tank at my house that is big enough for me to SCUBA dive in. Man thats gonna be fun :D

Well I have all three sizes in marine tanks, but only the nano is a reef. Currently though I am considering turning my 120 gal FOWLR into a reef setup. I just have to figure out how to afford the lighting I want, thens it's on!

Got a 20Gal. Would Love a large Reef. I need a deeper tank than the one I have. Its too awkward.

It's interesting reading all the comments and seeing the poll results as when I came back to the forum after being away for a while it seemed everything had gone Nano mad and no-one was interested in large marine tanks anymore.
Looks like the take off in Nanos is more down to to money and space constrictions than a mass exodus away from large tanks and most poeple are aiming for a large tank in the future.

I think a lot of that also has to do with the newer equipment to help stabalize a nano tank. Or at least make it easier to maintain with built in filtration and lighting capable of handling a reef setup.

:-(
I remember the good old days when everyone had massive tanks and you got laughed at with a 40g
Now i'm having to fight the urge to set up a 'puddle' which is not easy as I have everything needed sat in my spares box right now as well as an excess of live rock :drool:

Must...............

Resist.............

Fiancee...........

will.................

Kill.................

Me.................

:S

At the moment I run 2 nanos, a 15G and a 5G...... Obviously I would prefer a huge reef, something like 100-150G would suit me nicely, however if i were to do this the cost would be astronomical... I need a spare £5000 before i can start a BIG reef tank...

Oh and aquascraper, go for it, you won't regret it! You could always let your girlfriend choose stocking? home for a clownfish pair perhaps?

Ben

Some times that doesn't work. My nano cube was a brithday present for my wife so she could keep the clownfish she liked when I wanted a different kind. She was really pissed when I wouldn't let her put an anenome in there.

Most reactions

Back