Public Aquariums Around The World

Universeum, Gothenburg (Göteborg), Sweden

Not just an aquarium, but a sort of general zoology museum with biotopes, mainly fish and herptiles. There is an indigenous section which starts off at the top of the building with mountain streams (you really do get an illusion of being outside), then woodland streams (with fish and amphibians) and all the way down to the sea. There were some tropical tanks too but had little time to look at those.
Then there is the rainforest- which is a high open room - several floors - with rainforest plants, birds, small monkeys and open fish tanks. The children found it too hot and damp, but I could have stayed a long time.
Also, a section with poisonous snakes and lizards. At first I found this concept a bit sensational but it was well done, and meant you are not just staring at the same old easily-kept boas and pythons, but getting to learn something new.
All in all, good value for money, the animals looked well kept.

Gothenburg also has an Aquarium (below the Maritime Museum), which I haven't visited for many years. It used to be cramped and underheated, but I have been told they have got their act together and it's well worth a visit now.

I've been to both the Bournemouth and the Portsmouth Aquariums. Only once to Bournemouth, and I did have a few concerns then about some ill-matched fish and obvious signs of aggression/injuries in the tanks, but that may have been a temporary glitch; also, about the appalling environmental sense of a place that keeps all its cafe doors wide open on a freezing cold day in February, yet heats the room inside to tropical temperatures. Still, they had lots of interesting fish.
Portsmouth is one I visit regularly, and I do like this one. Fish always look well kept, and there's often something interesting to see, like baby rays on one occasion. Not enormous but nicely laid out, something very satisfactory about it. And kids love the otters.
The Deep in Hull is a bit more on the mind-blowing scale. Only been once, but I did enjoy it.

This is a really interesting thread!! I've bookmarked this page so I can come back when I've more time and take a visit to all these fabulous aquariums, pinning it would be good for future members.

Name: Underwater World

My Review: It is a very nice public aquarium. Has the normal sea life (sharks, sea lions, otters, crocs) It has a big native Australian section with freshwater areas. Also has display tanks of other continents fish species. It abit of a drive from brisbane, but is worth the 1hr drive north. Has a nice tunneled area where u walk under sharks, huge stingrays. Makes me want to go again lol.

The NY Aquarium is kind of small. My husband didn't enjoy it because he prefers bigger creatures, like otters, seal, and such - and there weren't so many of those. When my daughter was about 1 or 1 1/2, she was enthralled with the beluga whale (that was the largest creature there). At the time, I wasn't as intersted in fish as I am now, so my feelings at the time were skewed along my husband's. Were I to go now, I would probably enjoy it more (assuming my husband didn't rush me along out of boredom), but it's still not interesting enough for me to bother - I'd rather go to the Bronx Zoo.

On the other hand, we plan on going to the New England Aquarium in Boston, in mid-September. I've read really good reviews about it, and I'm very excited. If I remember, I'l pst a review about it then.

anywhere good around ontario in canada?

know about the toronto zoo, wondering if there's any fish specific places?

The National Aquarium Washington DC USA
this aquarium is oddly split into two buildings, one on Constitution Ave and one on K St.

I visited this a few years back and found that the building that is one block from the Washington monument
(can't remember which that is, constitution ave I think) is not worth bothering with, apart from the Alligators but the other one is well worth a visit.

Miss Wiggle, does this mean you guys are moving to Canada for sure?

nope, but we've nearly enough money to book flights for a trip over there in octoberish :good:

just going for a holiday to check things out

Oceanarium Bournemouth (South coast UK), this is my local aquarium. Its on the beach front as well which is nice :)

Just had a interactive diving cage installed this is the fist of it's kind i believe, but i don't like it my self, but for kids i guess they will like it.

www.oceanarium.co.uk/

Name: Bolton Aquarium

Bolton Aquarium is a tiny public aquarium best known for breeding rare fish, including the Galaxy Rasbora (Celestial Danio). It has at most 15 working tanks - it changes every time I go - and a couple of snake tanks. Some of the specimens are amazing, like the Giant Green Knifefish and some other large fish.

It's an interesting place to visit if you're in the area. It would make a nice addition to a day up north visiting the massive Britian's Aquarium Superstore in Bolton or nearby Pier Aquatics in Wigan.

I wouldn't recommend travelling any distance to visit the aquarium specifically. It's very small and it's reputation is based on behind-the-scenes breeding projects, not fish on display.

Most reactions

Back