Problems Getting Ammonia

Well, 'pee' is pretty much just ammonia, uric acid, protiens, vitamins and minerals. So one could make an argument that pee would provide essential trace elements and proteins!!!! for your future fish :lol:

Yeah tell your fish that when they are gulping in your pee :lol:

I wonder if my fish pee too much, that's why my ammonia is so high :p (its in the middle of cycling and the ammonia won't go away!).

When you fishless cycle, you shouldn't have any fish in there, no pee to gulp :p

robert dyers sell it made by jeyes and called KLEEN OFF worked atre 6 months agoat when i cycled my 200l about 6 months ago.

robert dyers sell it made by jeyes and called KLEEN OFF worked atre 6 months agoat when i cycled my 200l about 6 months ago.

just noticed you from woking robert dyers in wolesly walk is where i got mine it is in with the household cleaning stuff took some finding mind you.

just noticed you from woking robert dyers in wolesly walk is where i got mine it is in with the household cleaning stuff took some finding mind you.
Cheers Mr fishman, I stopped in robert dyers on my way back to Waterloo (only useful shop in Central London). Had just been dubious because didn't mention whether pure or not.

Thanks

i managed to get hold of some from boots just last week. its in a white bottle with a red lid and is branded 'boots household ammonia'. its about 2 quid a bottle (i think - i had the same problems getting hold of it because they were out of stock constantly so when i saw it i didnt really bother taking the time to look)

its with a load of other laundry bits n pieces

hope that helps

sam

I got my at a pound shop. It cost a pound (surprising that). I have seen it in Boots too and have been told they sell it in Homebase as well.

i went in b & q in newcastle and the local helpfull assistant informed us they dont sell ammonia anymore so went to boots its 500ml for £1.75 in a white bottle white tamper proof top called "boots" household ammonia

dont know if anyone else has done this but i worked out how much i needed to add by tank capacity divided by 1,000,000 and then multiplying by 5 or 6 to give me parts per million and then multiplying by ten as the ammonia in solution is 9.5% cant guarantee it for everyone but was spot on for me (this saves adding a bit and then testing etc)

steve

So does our urine have addatives????!!

Vitamins, minerals in urine.....i dont think so..........urine is waste is'nt it?............ummmmmmmm Vitamins, minerals, iron..sounds like a protein slurpy drink !!..:)

i went in b & q in newcastle and the local helpfull assistant informed us they dont sell ammonia anymore so went to boots its 500ml for £1.75 in a white bottle white tamper proof top called "boots" household ammonia

dont know if anyone else has done this but i worked out how much i needed to add by tank capacity divided by 1,000,000 and then multiplying by 5 or 6 to give me parts per million and then multiplying by ten as the ammonia in solution is 9.5% cant guarantee it for everyone but was spot on for me (this saves adding a bit and then testing etc)

steve

Hi Stevenufc!!

You sound like you are doing the same thing as me!! :D I too have just bought some ammonia. It was a white tamper proof bottle call 'Homebase' household ammonia!! Imagine that.....

If i had seen your post i would have tried what you said...... nevermind. I have added my ammonia and now I'm just waiting.

Hopefully my patients will pay off.....i so want fish in the tank :(

Muzzy

**Edit** forgot to say.... thanks to this post i found the ammonia after being told by the lfs that Nutrafin Cycle is good enough......

So does our urine have addatives????!!

Vitamins, minerals in urine.....i dont think so..........urine is waste is'nt it?............ummmmmmmm Vitamins, minerals, iron..sounds like a protein slurpy drink !!..:)

Oh but it does!
Like vitamin C. Go get some 'vitamin C supplement' it lists something like %1000 your daily value. Pop one or two of those suckers, and you'll have technicolor orange pee. Anything that's water soluble will (provided its not huge molecules) will be present in some form in your urine. It *is* waste mainly because of the uric acid, urea, and ammonia, but theres tonnes of protiens and minerals in it. Calcuim, iron, magnesium, all sorts of goodies.
Er, dont drink pee though, you'll end up poisoning yourself if you do it enough times over and over.

steve

Hi Stevenufc!!

You sound like you are doing the same thing as me!! :D I too have just bought some ammonia. It was a white tamper proof bottle call 'Homebase' household ammonia!! Imagine that.....

If i had seen your post i would have tried what you said...... nevermind. I have added my ammonia and now I'm just waiting.

Hopefully my patients will pay off.....i so want fish in the tank :(

Muzzy

**Edit** forgot to say.... thanks to this post i found the ammonia after being told by the lfs that Nutrafin Cycle is good enough......

Be warned, from personal experience, it'll seem like a LOOOOOONG time until its done cycling...

Be warned, from personal experience, it'll seem like a LOOOOOONG time until its done cycling...

Thanks Inane i understand and from fear of killing any fish im prepared to wait.

Yeah wish I knew about this fishless cycling before. I'd rather wait and just let the tank do its thing then have to worry if my fish (even though they are those hardy little ones) are doing ok, they might be "cycling fish" but they are still creatures that have to suffer, so I think all the LFS should tell their customers about fishless cycling...but they just want to sell fish I guess.... :(

It does seem like forever......I feel it will be 2008 before I can add anything substantial to my tank, I avoid going to LFS with my partner because he always begs me to get a fish, I have to practically yell at him "NO! Just wait or you will kill them!" to get him to stop begging :lol: but he is better now since I told him what it can do to the fish.

It does seem like forever......I feel it will be 2008 before I can add anything substantial to my tank, I avoid going to LFS with my partner because he always begs me to get a fish, I have to practically yell at him "NO! Just wait or you will kill them!" to get him to stop begging :lol: but he is better now since I told him what it can do to the fish.
I hate taking my kids with me. Oldest one "we have to buy some now, the tank looks silly bare", youngest "look its nemo, we have to have him", "no its marine, and its way too big", "please, please, please" "NO", cue tantrum, "can we have a bunny rabbit instead then?"....

I hate taking my kids with me. Oldest one "we have to buy some now, the tank looks silly bare", youngest "look its nemo, we have to have him", "no its marine, and its way too big", "please, please, please" "NO", cue tantrum, "can we have a bunny rabbit instead then?"....

lol!! Fortunately i dont have content with things like that. My girlfriend has left this to me and when she asks about adding fish i go on about the ammonia is to many ppm and if there is no nitrite and if there are no nitrite then there are no nitrates and i then get a confused look :blink: If that fails i just say the fish will die and she will be to blame cos she made me do it!! :D only kidding im not that horrible.

Oh and Inane.... im ready but the tank is not :p

Most reactions

Back