Problem With Zebra Loach’s

daffer

Reaction score
HI all
Can anyone help I introduced three Zebra Loach (Botia striatus ) to my tank on Saturday one small and two larger ones , N02 N03 & NH3 levels all as should be the small one seems very happy but the two larger ones are in hiding most of the time and when they do appear they are violently thrashing themselves on the gravel is this normal or is it a sign of stress or disease , your thoughts appreciated .

What do you mean by thrashing about in the gravel?

I know that zebra's are by nature quite skittish fish and would prefer to have loads of hidey holes to flit off to at the first sign (and that usually means anything) of danger.

But thrashing about :dunno:

When you say your reading are "all as the should be" what do you mean exactly?

It sounds like what I would refer to as "flashing", and is a major sign of discomfort.

It would be better if you could post actual results of tests on the water quality, instead of saying "as should be", since I've talked to some people who think it is fine when it is not. Numbers mean more than words in this case.

Flashing can be a sign of ich possibly in the gills, that you can't see (or maybe you can see spots?), or parasites, also that you can't see. New loaches often have parasites since they are usually wild-caught. Have you noticed any other symptoms? Gasping? I know you have only had them since Saturday but inadequate weight gain or growth can be an indicator of parasites.

What size is your tank, and what are their tankmates? Tank size is an important factor in assuring they are healthy and happy.

What do you mean by thrashing about in the gravel?

I know that zebra's are by nature quite skittish fish and would prefer to have loads of hidey holes to flit off to at the first sign (and that usually means anything) of danger.

But thrashing about :dunno:

When you say your reading are "all as the should be" what do you mean exactly?

Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 25-50 by thrashing I mean that they are flicking the underneath of there bodies on the gravel violently

You need to do some water changes to get your nitrate levels down. That could be their problem.

Without knowing the size of the tank or what tankmates are I can't really extrapolate much more on whether their needs are being met. With nitrate levels that high either you are probably either overstocked or don't do enough water changes.

You need to do some water changes to get your nitrate levels down. That could be their problem.

Without knowing the size of the tank or what tankmates are I can't really extrapolate much more on whether their needs are being met. With nitrate levels that high either you are probably either overstocked or don't do enough water changes.

The tank is 125 litres stock 4x Golden Gourami 3x Dalmation Molly
2x Red Platy 2x Bristlenose Plec and the Loach’s temp 25.5c

My zebras flick occasionally-my levels have been very low for months-i havent seen any problems with my zebras and they still play together and feed well.

It all sounds good except that mollies need salt in order to resist disease, and gouramis and loaches do not tolerate salt well. Do you have another tank you could set up for your livebearers? I think barbs would be a good replacement in this tank. I love barbs. :wub:

If you don't see other symptoms on the loaches it is likely to be the nitrates. If you'd like you can treat with an anti-parasite med for internal parasites. I have been told it is a good precautionary measure to take for all loaches.

sorry I didn’t give you all the info there who says men can’t multitask I wrote a reply and burnt some cheese on toast at the same time Ph is about 7.6 and the water is fairly hard in this area I do a 10% water change weekly

It all sounds good except that mollies need salt in order to resist disease, and gouramis and loaches do not tolerate salt well. Do you have another tank you could set up for your livebearers? I think barbs would be a good replacement in this tank. I love barbs. :wub:

If you don't see other symptoms on the loaches it is likely to be the nitrates. If you'd like you can treat with an anti-parasite med for internal parasites. I have been told it is a good precautionary measure to take for all loaches.

I will have to consider another tank you say treat for internal parasites any suggestions for meds? and I thought that Nitrate levels at about or below 50ppm were ok

I will have to consider another tank you say treat for internal parasites any suggestions for meds? and I thought that Nitrate levels at about or below 50ppm were ok

They are ok imo - though not ideal (lower than 40ppm is better), I was under the impression that you should be worried when they get over 80 or so.

Have you been able to see if there are any whitespots on them?

They are ok imo - though not ideal (lower than 40ppm is better), I was under the impression that you should be worried when they get over 80 or so.

Have you been able to see if there are any whitespots on them?

I hadent noticed before but I think it is whitespot can it be fatal I will get some meds tomorrow what do you recommend

I hadent noticed before but I think it is whitespot can it be fatal I will get some meds tomorrow what do you recommend

Yes, it can be fatal. It is very serious and needs to be taken care of immediately. Loaches are sensitive to a lot of medication, though, and the solution can be part of the problem if you're not careful. Whatever med you get, a good idea is to do a half dose, and continue treatment for two weeks even if you don't see any more spots to ensure it doesn't return.

Most reactions

Back