Probably A Really Stupid Question But...

iluvguppies

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Could you use a outdoor pond filter (bio and mechanical) sytem for a large (7ft) tropical freshwater tank? If not, why not?

Many thanks

Nikk:)

yes you could but it would have to be level with the tank or theyle be under to much pressure

Would I not be able to use a pressurised one that's suitable for burying under ground ( of course, I would put it in cupboard under tank). That way I could get 2 filters rated say for a pond twice the size of my tank and run them in unison so that they can go longer between being cleaned and so that I've got a matured back up should one fail.

Thanks,

Nikki:)

or is it possible to overfilter or be too powerful for fish and suck them in?

Nikki

um i dont have anything to do with the pressurized ones so ill let some one else answer

Personally I'd be worried about the noise factor, but if you tested that and felt it was ok then perhaps pond filters could be worked out, I honestly don't know. Given the solid performance of modern external cannisters, that would of course seem a safer route to go down.

~~waterdrop~~

From the research I've done so far I'm struggling to find an aquarium filter with suitability for 1000L tank (only found upto 700L). This means that the flow rates I've found have a max of only 1750l/h (most are even less than that)......this would be a turnover of less than 2/hr and I think that for a community tank it should be between 4-6???????
When I put 4000l/h it came up with pond pumps as I even if I went for 2 aquariums filters with a turnover of 1200l/h each that's still only 2400l/h combined??

Any ideas appreciated??

Nikki

PS I hadn't considered the noise :crazy: :S

Wouldn't it need to be minimum 2/3 size of main tank though, ie, about 600l???? cos that's way too big for me..to have two such big tanks!!?? Plus they look pretty complicated.

Nikki :)

Well, big built-in tanks -are- somewhat involved and complicated! But assuming you are already into your house construction phase I wouldn't go off the deep end worrying about it. Here's something to think about: All those institutional display tanks seen at offices and other places have to be outfitted and maintained by somebody and usually its some regular old aquarium shop. Yes, there's probably somebody who knew what he/she was doing (probably a fair number of our members are professionals who earn money doing these sorts of services) but often they are then maintained by people who may not really know that much about them but can still do it. So there very well may be "canned sump systems" out there to be had or, as we've all seen from time to time on the web, there's a fair amount of web "how to" material out there I think with pictures and all of people designing and constructing sump systems. Or, perhaps its just a matter of lining up the right number of large external cannisters under that big tank and perhaps augmenting it with a few powerheads in strategic places. Definately you're going to want to be starting up a thread in the hardware section and trying to get the attention of folks over there. It may take a little longer but if you are just persistent, you may get some good advice over there both about what is really needed and about how to go about it.

~~waterdrop~~
ps. another thing I forgot to ask, maybe you said, was how high the tank walls are planned to be? If these get too high then maintenance can become a problem. I remember a few situations where some of the more illustrious members have had to use scuba gear for mainenance, lol.

It's planned to be 90" length x 24" high x 30" wide and will be built into wall with maintenance access from study room and visible in lounge and study.

Thanks, will do that. Not started yet, wanted to do my research properly first.

Nikki

rooster might have some 24" high ones, I see him checking in on us... The issue with the high walled tanks is not really access per se but the difficulties you run into if, when you stick your arm over the side of the tank, you cannot "do things" down at and beneath the gravel level of the tank. All of a sudden the simplest of things become much more time consuming. For instance, you may need rather complicated little extension grippers to plant live plants. You may have to have a significantly longer gravel cleaning tube (although "Python" does indeed have these, even taller than a person, lol) but... I'm going on here and 24" I guess is really not that bad, probably a stepping stool would solve it all.

~~waterdrop~~

The height is less fixed (til it's made lol) but somewhere between 18 and 24" is what I'm thinking...thnaks foor the point about 2ft being quite deep for sticking arm in..hadn't considered that....this is the reason I wanted to get ppls opinions first.

Thanks! :)

Nikki

Just a point (and I know I'm short), but my tank is only just under 18" and I (at 5ft3") can only just comfortably reach the bottom of the tank to do maintenance.
Could you go to some fish shops and go touch the bottom of some tanks...lol.

Wonderful :D verification.. and she's only 5'3" and has a fever tonight and is still being helpful to us! Get some rest 101!

Most reactions

Back