Prime

maisy12345

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi,have just read on a thread about Prime dechlorinator being good for using during a fish in cycle ,especially since my tap water reads at 0.25 for ammonia and although i`m doing daily 60 percent water changes with Tetra and API declorinator,not at same time, my ammonia readings are sticking at 0.25-0.50 ,but mostly 0.25,what does everone else think ,and where`s the cheapest place to buy it from?
Thanks in advance.

API Stress Coat shifts the ammonium - ammonia equilibrium towards the ammonium side, in the same way that Prime does, it doesn't remove ammonia, it just makes it less toxic

As SS said, Prime and several other dechlorinators, does not remove the ammonia, it just makes it less toxic for a short time. A couple of days after using Prime to make your water safer, any remaining ammonia will have reverted to the more toxic form anyway. In my own case, I have tap water that gives me a reading of about 1 ppm of ammonia. Since my filter is mature, it quickly drops to zero. The Prime that I use keeps the ammonia from my tap water from being in the toxic form while that process takes place.
There is no such thing as non-toxic ammonia but the bad concentration of ammonia varies from 0.25 ppm in a high pH regime to several ppm in a low pH regime. The Prime or other treatment is making the ammonia take the form that it would in water with a low pH.
I buy my own Prime on line at various locations. While it would cost me over $10 to buy 3 or 4 ounces locally, I bought a half litre delivered to my door for about $15 a couple of years ago. That half litre is still in use and not even nearing an empty container even though I do water changes on 26 tanks regularly.

Thanks for that Standby setting and Oldman47,much appreciated.

Prime is great! But it was hard to get used to the fact that you hardly need any! I kept wanting to pour more in and had to stop myself, lol.

I use 1 to 2 drops per gallon when I am using a bucket for water changes. Actually I use a bucket that holds about 4 1/2 gallons and use 6 drops to treat it. The product is indeed quite concentrated. I add mine shortly after I start filling a bucket and let it mix as the bucket fills with water.

A new product from seachem is out that is even more concentrated then Prime but in powder form.... It's called seachem SAFE and for example 1/8 tsp treats 25 gallons of water. I'm currently using it and Its saving me some good money compared to prime!

Thanks for that information Hillmar. I may look into that if I ever run out of Prime. My tiny half litre bottle has a few good years left on it though.

Thanks for that information Hillmar. I may look into that if I ever run out of Prime. My tiny half litre bottle has a few good years left on it though.
No problem.... I go through about 120 gallons of water a week in water changes for my discus tank ( I blame it on the home made beef heart mix that messes up the water) but thanks to your advice you gave me last year I have the confidence to do massive water changes without worry! :)

Most reactions

Back