prgnant swordtail

lindac

Reaction score
:wub: I have just had two female guppys who have had babies the other day and I am facinated with the whole thing now. I now have a female swordtail who I think in pregnant as she has a dark gravid spot. I would be grateful if anyone has a picture of a pregnant swordtail so i could compare them.

Thanks for any help

they are same as all livebearers.The farthest back fin on the bottom beside the tail will be fan shapped for the female and pointed for the male.

Sorry i dont have a pic of a pregnent sword, but mine just recently gave birth to over 45 fry, so be prepared. :rolleyes: He gravid spot got very large and very dark, she is orange color. Her name is Carrott thanks to my kids. :lol: Good luck and let us know, hopefully someone else has a picture of one.

Jerenycool, how do you tell the males and females of which fish guppies or swords?
Guppies: Males have alot of coloring on their entire bodys as well as a male member ( i cant spell it) females usually are limited iin their color to just tails.

Swords: Males have a sword extending from their tails, and females do not.
Hope that helps.
Sandy

the gravid spot is right above the lower back fin and is the babys eyes starting to form meaning theyre gonna come out soon

:no: :-( :/ :( :unsure: We have a Pregnant tiger tropical fish i belive she is getting really big...
Iwas wondering is it ok if she gose on her side or her back caus her gills are moving fast and she dose move everynow and then please send me a reply on here A.S.A.P and she has been this big for about a week if not a little more please reply A.S.A.P thank you :sad:

MOVED TO LIVEBEARERS, PLEASE DO NOT POST QUESTIONS RELATING TO LIVEBEARERS IN TH BREEDING FORUM.

OUCH! I thought breeding questions would go in the breeding forum but I guess livebearers are banned!

Anyways, for me the best way to tell the difference between a pregnant fish and nonpregnant fish is how fat they are. When they get really fat than they are about to explode with fry. Look at some pictures of nonpregant fish to compare.

I was wondering how to tell the difference between swordtail females and platy. They look exactly the same to me!

Most reactions

Back