Preparation

Hi, why do I need to add ammonia, I thought ammonia builds up in the Aquarium and reduces the oxygen content.
I live in an area of hard water, do I need to add something to it?
Would you advise a test kit, if so what balance am I aiming at, could you quote numbers please?

regards
Dave

Ammonia is produced by fish, and is toxic to them as it burns their gills. The filter, once cycled, will remove ammonia, conerting it via nitrite (also toxic as it reduces the oxygen carrying capasity of the fishes blood) to nitrate. The ammonia will be used to cycle the tank, instead of adding a few hardy fish that will be doomed from the start :good:

Have a read of the pinned fishless cycling topic for more info.

HTH
Rabbut

lol, did you miss me? :lol:

yeah, need a cup of tea to hand to read it i think..... my head hurts now :rolleyes:

Hi, why do I need to add ammonia, I thought ammonia builds up in the Aquarium and reduces the oxygen content.
I live in an area of hard water, do I need to add something to it?
Would you advise a test kit, if so what balance am I aiming at, could you quote numbers please?

regards
Dave
Yes, thought I'd have a go to in addition to rabbuts good answer.
One way I think about is that during fishless cycling, don't think of the water as something you are preparing for your fish. During this pre-fish stage, the water is a special growth medium for the bacteria. Then at the very end, after the bacteria are grown, you throw out that water and start with fresh water for the fish (and no longer put in ammonia.)

~~waterdrop~~

Hi, anybody know about the Italian Fluval Aquarium range?
I'm looking into getting a Roma, it comes with accessories and a good lighting system.

Need advice please.
How best to prepare a flat level surface on the carpet for the aquarium stand/cuboard?

Dave :good:

I know of them, but have never seen one in real life. The Fluval tanks I have seen in their other ranges look good though :good:

For a tank on carpet, I'd place down a 1/2 inch thick pice of ply, that will spreaf the pressue of the feet over the carpet and avoid the tank feet from "pitting" the carpet with the weight placed on the feet :good:

HTH
Rabbut

yeah the italian range seem to be a step up from the standard tanks, i still don't think the filters they come with are good enough...... but i'll never be satisfied completely with 'all in one' tanks. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back