Pregnant Platy' Help!

shi24137

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ok, im new at this. i have guppies and platies in a 20 gallon tank. plenty of hiding places for fry. one of my female platies i believe is pregnant. i see the dark gravid spot and then another more orange-ish spot right beside it. she has lost interest in eating and has isolated herself from the others. is this normal? also one of my male guppies has been showing his mating routine to one of my male platies. now the male platy is isolating himself. what is going on in my tank???

i thought this forum was to help people? yet no one is helping me...

well, i think if ur pergo fish is doin that she is ready to drop very soon. can u post pics?
R u sure it was a mating routine? he may be showing dominance. but im only a newbie so i may not be rite bout the males.

well what the male guppy does is spread out all of his fins and it looks like he's spazing out. lol. but the female platy who i believe is prego is not very big and is isolating herself. she is worrying me. she seems to like hiding behind my internal filter. i have the tetra whisper internal filter.

well the only problem with that is im using the net on my phone. im not sure i can upload a pic from here.

ah....well pic asap if possible, can u describe her behaviour, apperance and possibly other fishes behaviuor towards her?

well i have 2 prego platies. one is orange but shes doing just fine and looks like shes about to pop. its my gray platy im worried about. shes gray and when the light hits her scales flash blue. very pretty. she has been isolating herself beside or behind my filter away from the other fish. sometimes the other females will go over and sit with her(looks like they want to cheer her up) but after a while they swim away. none of the other fish pay her any mind. i havent seen her eat but who knows what she does at night...

well the only problem with that is im using the net on my phone. im not sure i can upload a pic from here.
Welcome to the forum SHI24137. We are not always on here and many of us, including me, will not answer a question where we are not sure of the correct answer. I feel that no information is better than bad information.

Unless things have changed recently, you can't upload a picture from your home PC either. The way we do pictures here is to have you sign up with a picture hosting site like photobucket and then paste a link to the picture into your thread. You use the img] style link and treat it as text in your post. The end result can be something like this picture that I took on an isolated beach in Oregon.
HarborSeal800.jpg

is she square at the belly? can u see any kind of gravid spot? how is the platy male?

she has a gravid spot and an orange-ish spot right next to it(like eggs inside her). i do my water changes every other day bc of the guppy fry. what about my male platy? the males are active and doing great.

the male hidding from the guppy????? she sounds prego, she sounds like she will drop soon too.

the male platy just ignores the male guppy's sexual advances. lol. as for the platy femal that is worrying me...she is not big at all. maybe its fish-morning sickness?

well i could email you a picture of her from my phone. i bought all my fish from wally world but i think i picked the best ones. my tank doesnt have too many plants bc some havent grown yet. but they all seem happy and active except for the one female...

Most reactions

Back