Pregnant fish

Is it a good idea to have 2 or 3 pregnant fish in 1 tank?
Honestly, I don't see the problem. Usually the females aren't the problem but some tend to get slightly more aggressive when caring babies. The fish you should be worried about are the males. If you have more male fish in your tank, they are at risk of being bullied by the male who has impregnated your females.

How many males do you have?
What is the size of your tank?

I have kept two pregnant fish in one tank and it wasn't a problem at all (they were platys, who are very similar to mollies). In fact, they helped out each other when the male would get pushy.

Honestly, I don't see the problem. Usually the females aren't the problem but some tend to get slightly more aggressive when caring babies. The fish you should be worried about are the males. If you have more male fish in your tank, they are at risk of being bullied by the male who has impregnated your females.

How many males do you have?
What is the size of your tank?

I have kept two pregnant fish in one tank and it wasn't a problem at all (they were platys, who are very similar to mollies). In fact, they helped out each other when the male would get pushy.
I have a 36 gal. Maybe 7 females and maybe 5 female. They just got feed

Attachments

• 16104233553723018207277564740912.jpg
    16104233553723018207277564740912.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 51
I have a mix of fish. dino, platy, molly, to catfish, 1 pleco
Okay so those fish are a perfect mix in my opinion. Docile bottom feeders to aggressive an active top dwellers. My mollies love to go to the bottom so I had to rehome my catfish. Anyways, I know the perfect ratio for all livebearers is 3 females to 1 male. Based on your numbers you have an off ratio which might cause some issues in the future.
My molly ratio is off as well. Since some of my mollies aren’t even sexed yet. So it isn’t going to be terrible. Keep an eye out for aggressiveness and if it starts to become overbearing for your girlies, remove the male and quarantine him for a few hours and put him back in. That’s usually helped me.
From experience, the dad never gets better. He will always be pushy and aggressive towards the females.
I ended up taking him back to my local pet store and replacing him with a different male molly and harmony returned to my tank.
You have plenty of room for your fish to hide so it shouldn’t be an issue. Just watch their behaviors closely!

Good luck!

Okay so those fish are a perfect mix in my opinion. Docile bottom feeders to aggressive an active top dwellers. My mollies love to go to the bottom so I had to rehome my catfish. Anyways, I know the perfect ratio for all livebearers is 3 females to 1 male. Based on your numbers you have an off ratio which might cause some issues in the future.
My molly ratio is off as well. Since some of my mollies aren’t even sexed yet. So it isn’t going to be terrible. Keep an eye out for aggressiveness and if it starts to become overbearing for your girlies, remove the male and quarantine him for a few hours and put him back in. That’s usually helped me.
From experience, the dad never gets better. He will always be pushy and aggressive towards the females.
I ended up taking him back to my local pet store and replacing him with a different male molly and harmony returned to my tank.
You have plenty of room for your fish to hide so it shouldn’t be an issue. Just watch their behaviors closely!

Good luck!
I have 1 gold dust molly that is suppose to be female and it is going after 2 smaller females. The left is the supost to be female and right is supost to be male

Attachments

• 16104242704353312584353744437054.jpg
    16104242704353312584353744437054.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 16104245484041901143009382548028.jpg
    16104245484041901143009382548028.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 43
I have 1 gold dust molly that is suppose to be female and it is going after 2 smaller females. The left is the supost to be female and right is supost to be male
That looks right to me. Their builds tend to be different. I find the females have rounder bellies than the males. Their fins are slightly different too.

if the female is being aggressive, taking her out for a couple hours and then putting her back in the tank should shape her up. I had to do that with one of my platys because she would not leave the other fish alone. Sometimes, especially when pregnant, female fish can get severe attitude problems when their hormones spike. If not pregnant, it can be a sign they are ready to be pregnant or the water quality is low. Since your female looks pregnant in your original post about her, I would say it’s because she is carrying babies and she has become aggressive.

That looks right to me. Their builds tend to be different. I find the females have rounder bellies than the males. Their fins are slightly different too.

if the female is being aggressive, taking her out for a couple hours and then putting her back in the tank should shape her up. I had to do that with one of my platys because she would not leave the other fish alone. Sometimes, especially when pregnant, female fish can get severe attitude problems when their hormones spike. If not pregnant, it can be a sign they are ready to be pregnant or the water quality is low. Since your female looks pregnant in your original post about her, I would say it’s because she is carrying babies and she has become aggressive.
That 1 isn't pregnant. She hasn't gotten big. My earlier post was of the small 1 and this 1 chases the male aggressively.

That 1 isn't pregnant. She hasn't gotten big. My earlier post was of the small 1 and this 1 chases the male aggressively.
Okay she might just have an attitude problem that needs adjusting. Isolating her for a bit (just a few hours, maybe 4 or 5) should do it. If it continues, check your water quality, jf it is good, they might just not be fans of each other and it’s your decision whether she should go back or you let it play out. Sometime, that aggression simmers down and they end up becoming friends. It honestly just takes observing and making that decision. If worse comes to worse, I would replace her with another female from the pet store if you can. But only if she doesn’t get nicer after her isolation and the water testing.

Okay she might just have an attitude problem that needs adjusting. Isolating her for a bit (just a few hours, maybe 4 or 5) should do it. If it continues, check your water quality, jf it is good, they might just not be fans of each other and it’s your decision whether she should go back or you let it play out. Sometime, that aggression simmers down and they end up becoming friends. It honestly just takes observing and making that decision. If worse comes to worse, I would replace her with another female from the pet store if you can. But only if she doesn’t get nicer after her isolation and the water testing.
Ok thanks alot I do appreciated it. By chance what do u think of how long till that fish might pop?

Ok thanks alot I do appreciated it. By chance what do u think of how long till that fish might pop?
Yeah of course! And that depends on how long she has been showing signs of pregnancy. But mollies tend to give live birth within 45-60 days!

Yeah of course! And that depends on how long she has been showing signs of pregnancy. But mollies tend to give live birth within 45-60 days!
Ok she has been like that for about a week that I know of. She was a little bit when I got her a week ago

Ok she has been like that for about a week that I know of. She was a little bit when I got her a week ago
Alright so I would think around 50 days would be my guess. She will get pretty big but the second you see her lose weight, search your tank. Again, I recommend purchasing floating toys for baby fry. Petco has some and I’m sure petsmart or even your local pet supply plus should have them. They just sit at the top and the fry chill there until they are ready to swim with the adults. But if you don’t get those, watch closely and the second she loses some weight, get your adults out and start searching for your baby fry. It’ll take some time and you might lose some but when I did this the first time I saved four out of ten and I found them super late!

Alright so I would think around 50 days would be my guess. She will get pretty big but the second you see her lose weight, search your tank. Again, I recommend purchasing floating toys for baby fry. Petco has some and I’m sure petsmart or even your local pet supply plus should have them. They just sit at the top and the fry chill there until they are ready to swim with the adults. But if you don’t get those, watch closely and the second she loses some weight, get your adults out and start searching for your baby fry. It’ll take some time and you might lose some but when I did this the first time I saved four out of ten and I found them super late!
I got this atm in a 20 gal I set up for this purpose

Attachments

• 1610426802879178955901166226995.jpg
    1610426802879178955901166226995.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 39
I got this atm in a 20 gal I set up for this purpose
You can use yarn or some soft thread to make a reaaallly good fry home, just tie a knot at the end and get rid of seperare strings and stuff

also reccomend live plants they willl grow on their own and so yiu have more space for more fry! In my experience my fish never
eat fry

Most reactions

Back