Powerhead?

This Old Spouse

TOTM Winner May 2013
Reaction score
I'm at my wits' end about the massive amounts of pleco poo. Feel free to laugh at me ... I got the common plec as the first purchase when I got my 55g and didn't know any better (honestly, why DO these get sold at all???) and now I'm just trying to deal with the poo it drops EVERYwhere. Daily sucks with the turkey baster don't even do it.

Would it be a good idea to put a powerhead in the tank? Would that help move the poo to the filters? One more problem is that he/she keeps burrowing and making caves all over, and of course that's where all the sh*t settles.

Please help before I'm buried in pooooooooo
shout.gif
shout.gif
shout.gif

Hi ,i have a small royal pleco,and i have been thinking the same.I have just brought a battery gravel vac to use in between water changes,and it seem to work quite well,it sucks up most of the poop.Greg

Thanks, Greg. I have a sand substrate, so that won't work. I do the gravel vac as best I can (swirling over the surface) but I can't stay ahead of it.

I Have sand too.You just have to skim over the surface,i did it the other day,I did suck a little of the sand up,but mostly sucked up the poop.

My common pleco doesnt seem to leave much poop around, i think it mainly gets broken up from my bigger cichlids 'playing' in the sand though lol.

If the poo sits on the sand, powerheads are excellent, i have really clean sand

Most reactions

Back