Potential disaster

We toyed with backup generator back when we raised all our food. In fall three freezers were full. Instead opted for two portable since upgraded to two inverted. All appliances are plug in from freezers to water pump to Navien boiler. It is a bit of a chore alternating from one power gobbler to the next but it works.

Nearly bit on solar a couple years ago but septic failed and the allotted money went down the drain.

I thought about solar, but you need sun for that.

Keeping your fish tank powered for 24/7 is super important, especially when the lights go out. While generators are handy, have you thought about going solar? It's a greener and more budget-friendly option in the long run. Plus, the government’s got some sweet deals to help cover the upfront costs. Check out this guide from the Department of Energy, https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/articles/5-benefits-residential-solar, to learn about how awesome solar can be.

And if you’re looking for more info about solar power and to save even more, head over to https://statesolar.org. Not only can you cut down on your energy bills, but you can also power your whole house, not just your tank. Trust me, I made the switch and it’s been a game-changer! While the generators are cool, they won't save you money in the long run like solar can.

I looked into solar energy. For my size house it would take 15 years to break even in savings. In 15 years, I will be 86 years old. Solar is for the Young who have plenty of time to recoup their expenditure. Not to mention, the technology for solar is accelerating at a very rapid pace. Whatever system you put in recently will be out of date within five years. It’s like the computer Revolution and Moore’s law.

I looked into solar energy. For my size house it would take 15 years to break even in savings. In 15 years, I will be 86 years old. Solar is for the Young who have plenty of time to recoup their expenditure. Not to mention, the technology for solar is accelerating at a very rapid pace. Whatever system you put in recently will be out of date within five years. It’s like the computer Revolution and Moore’s law.
Solar only works until there is a hail storm.

Peoples who have the $$$, gets the Cummings "Whole House" that even runs the swimming pool and the spa...

They quoted me something like half the value of my house...

I went with an home made installation of a 17500W Generac... And it can run everything but the HVAC, the tumble dryer and the stove... Ok... No heating during the winter. but... I can put enough 1500W heaters to be good and run everything else. It provides 6 times 20 amps 110 volt lines that I mapped trough the principal breakers outlet of the house.

I also took the time to "jump" the start button up to the control panel so I don't have to go outside to start it...

With a large "warning" that both double throwback switches has to be off before selecting input and pressing "Start".

It really has a ridiculous running time per tanks. And the final cost was less than my last repairs on my car.

Solar only works until there is a hail storm.

Solid solar panels are supposed to be covered with industrial strength poly-carbonate...

I Think any panel worthy of his name will not shatter new. But...

Leave it in the sun for a while...

Poly-carbonate has a good photo-decomposition period... While very resistant to impact it has nearly no provisions against erosion.

And once erosion settles in... Impact resistance drops...

Sandy areas suffers the most from this. Never heard of development on that aspect.... imo Texas would surely like to...

The "Industry" where already aware of this, 10 years ago.

Solid solar panels are supposed to be covered with industrial strength poly-carbonate...

I Think any panel worthy of his name will not shatter new. But...

Leave it in the sun for a while...

Poly-carbonate has a good photo-decomposition period... While very resistant to impact it has nearly no provisions against erosion.

And once erosion settles in... Impact resistance drops...

Sandy areas suffers the most from this. Never heard of development on that aspect.... imo Texas would surely like to...

The "Industry" where already aware of this, 10 years ago.
I read several times of solar panel fields getting shattered in hail storms.

Came within a whisker of installing solar a few years back. A failed septic system followed shortly by a failed boiler changed my wallet priority. I do not regret the change of direction. Solar in north New York is not good economics. My idea was to further our self sufficiency at the time. Happy I did not.

For outages we rely on two small portable inverter generators that are dual fuel. All of necessities have alternative wiring fed by the generators when required.

Our outages used to be somewhat frequent but are now rare so the portable generators are more than sufficient.

I've contemplated solar, but seacoast living has fog. Some summers, it's a few days. This summer, we are into a week where the fog, if it burns off, is only gone by early afternoon, and the sun is an afternoon thing. I love living in a cool place, but there's a cost. At least hail is rare.
What I need is a wind turbine.

Well 30 hours later and electricity is back. All fish alive and accounted for. I hope none suffer PTSD. I just purchased an air stone just in case this happens again before our generator is installed.
All my tanks run a sponge filter (either as a main or backup) using one of these bad boys.

1721316400434.png

You can also use them for keeping water aerated while transporting fish. And if you need to, you can power them off a laptop or portable charger.

I almost bought that but then I bit the bullet and bought a generator 😉

I almost bought that but then I bit the bullet and bought a generator 😉
I live in Central Florida, so every year I have the power go out for a day or two, but sometimes more. I have a gas generator too, but the only problem with them is that you have to have a lot of gas to run them, especially long-term. If it is a big area power outage, good luck finding gas.

I like the idea of having a backup air pump to run a sponge filter in an emergency. Plus, if my electric generator is running, I am more concerned with powering the fridge and a portable A/C unit to survive for myself.

I live in Central Florida, so every year I have the power go out for a day or two, but sometimes more. I have a gas generator too, but the only problem with them is that you have to have a lot of gas to run them, especially long-term. If it is a big area power outage, good luck finding gas.

I like the idea of having a backup air pump to run a sponge filter in an emergency. Plus, if my electric generator is running, I am more concerned with powering the fridge and a portable A/C unit to survive for myself.
Good points. I’ll get one. Any recommendations on filters that can be run by air pumps for 20 g long, 10 g and two 5g tanks.

Most reactions

Back