possible fungal growth on dwarf gourami

P3rhaps009

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
this morning i noticed a white coloured area/bulge under my fish's lip. i think it may be mouth fungus but it dosent seem as severe as other images ive seen. they are in a tank with two other blue dwarf gourami which leads to aggression. i noticed a hole in their fins a little while ago but i dismissed it as i thought it was normal for fish to nip at the fins, this however might have let in bad bactirea into its body as i have not really fed them much organic/live foods. im gonna get another red one to diffuse aggression (the other one died because i mistakingly had them overfed) after having two different deaths in less than a year i truly do not want this to go wrongly and am much more keen on preventing death in my fish. i do not want to kill off my fish due to lack of responsibility.

Pictures of the fish and one of the entire aquarium?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks?
How long have you had the gourami?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

--------------------

Don't add more fish to a tank if one is sick or possibly sick. You risk introducing more diseases with the new fish, and stress from adding more fish, which makes the problem worse. If a fish is sick or dies, don't add any new fish for at least one month. This gives the disease a chance to run its course and for the fish to recover if they are going to.

Male dwarf gouramis are colourful (red, blue, red & blue striped), and are highly territorial. Adding another male will simply add to more stress and more fighting. Only one species of Labyrinth fish (Bettas & Gouramis) should be kept in an aquarium, and you should only have one male per tank unless they are a social peaceful species, and most of them aren't that peaceful.

Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms regularly carry Fish TB and the gourami iridovirus, neither of which can be treated. If you buy these fish, there is a risk they have these diseases.

--------------------

BASIC FIRST AID FOR FISH
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish so we can check them for diseases.

--------------------

Don't add more fish to a tank if one is sick or possibly sick. You risk introducing more diseases with the new fish, and stress from adding more fish, which makes the problem worse. If a fish is sick or dies, don't add any new fish for at least one month. This gives the disease a chance to run its course and for the fish to recover if they are going to.

Male dwarf gouramis are colourful (red, blue, red & blue striped), and are highly territorial. Adding another male will simply add to more stress and more fighting. Only one species of Labyrinth fish (Bettas & Gouramis) should be kept in an aquarium, and you should only have one male per tank unless they are a social peaceful species, and most of them aren't that peaceful.

Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour forms regularly carry Fish TB and the gourami iridovirus, neither of which can be treated. If you buy these fish, there is a risk they have these diseases.

--------------------

BASIC FIRST AID FOR FISH

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

i will post pictures, thank you so much!

--------------------

--------------------

BASIC FIRST AID FOR FISH

i think the gender/species fighting is a large issue. i havent yet indentified wether or not my red dwarf gourami is a female or male, either way having a different species defenetly seems to be an issue. as soon as i treat this fish i will probably send it back to a local aquatics store to make sure it dosent become a larger issue.

also my glass build up is very bad but i did not think it was a problem so i left it alone

--------------------

--------------------

BASIC FIRST AID FOR FISH

thank you so much for the all advice. however i am having internal debates about weather or not it is something at all, it seems to be the beggining of cotton mouth so ill clean my tank tommorow along with the buildup on my glass. i will get more pictures when i am done cleaning but for now this is my image(s): (also wanted to add that since my phone has colours similar to the fish itself it was very curious about this new apperance and was very photogenic.:rofl:)
IMG_1984.jpg
IMG_1986.PNG
IMG_1985.jpg
IMG_1982.JPG

It looks like they've been mouth wrestling. Usually with regular weekly water maintenance, it heals, but the root cause is not going to go away. They'll keep fighting.

It looks like they've been mouth wrestling. Usually with regular weekly water maintenance, it heals, but the root cause is not going to go away. They'll keep fighting.
yeah, I noticed that i have two males one of which is the only red one, i think it might have also been a part of the cause of my other red fishes passing. im thinking of rehoming them once i get what ever issue is abroad over with. then im thinking of getting a few more female blue dwarf gourami as they seem to be one of the best fits. i have a 19 gal though so i might get something else later on. will make sure to do more research than what is shown in the basic statistics of a fish ordering website. i made the mistake of thinking that fish were less uniuqe than they really are. defienetly a lesson there.

Most reactions

Back