Dwarf gourami died in 10 gallon. Help me... :(

For everyone jumping on the band wagon and bashing the OP for a 10 gallon tank. Not every country has the same size 10 gallon tanks so you should check to see what the dimensions are before having a go at someone for having a dwarf gourami in a 10g tank.
eg: a standard 2 ft tank here holds 9-10 gallons. It's dimensions are 24 inches long x 10 inches wide x 12 inches high.

I'm unsure what the dimensions of the OP's tank are but we should find that out before saying the tank is too small for x.
The tank is 30cm x 45cm high x 30cm.

The standard 10 gallon tank I get here is 20 inches front, around 10 deep and 12 high. When I was new at this, I thought that was big, and regularly kept way way too many fish in them. As I got older, I overstocked larger tanks. It took me a while to get my head around the need to ease up.

@elephantnose3334 seems young, and I suspect feels that fascination for all the amazing fish we can see in this hobby. I think it's perfectly natural to overstock a tank, but it isn't workable or fair to the fish. When I was in my early teens, every time I made a few bucks painting, cutting grass or dragging golf carts around for drunks, I would head straight to the aquarium store and get more tetras than I had room for. My friends would be out buying drugs and wrecking their health, and I'd be out buying silvertip tetras for my 5 gallon.

Eventually, I met an elderly lfs owner who had been my grandfather's fish seller, and he set me straight as far as stocking goes. It really annoyed me. Most of my fish lived about 6 months, after all. I begrudgingly tried his way and 10 years later, still had a Cory from his store. It's a tough stage in fishkeeping to go through, because we get excited about the choices out there, and really like fish if we bother posting here. You want to see and get to know everything.

I was fortunate because my relatives all seemed to have unused tanks they gave me, and my Dad built a wall rack in my room and patched all the leaks in the old aquariums.

The OP got some standard but not good advice and is overstocked. Lots of water changes and no new additions are the only way forward, if you still live with your parents and don't have Uncles and Aunts hauling dusty, web filled tanks out of their back sheds for you.
I know. I don't know why everyone is bashing me...

We're not bashing you, we're trying to help. 30 cm is a very short swimming length for fish, most need a minimum of 60 cm. We are trying to explain that when when fish are kept in a tank which they perceive as too small, it affects them. They become stressed. Stressed fish often become aggressive and they get sick easier.

There are fish which can be kept in this tank, fish such as Boraras if your water is soft, or male-only endlers if the water is hard. This is why research before buying fish is so important.

We're not bashing you, we're trying to help. 30 cm is a very short swimming length for fish, most need a minimum of 60 cm. We are trying to explain that when when fish are kept in a tank which they perceive as too small, it affects them. They become stressed. Stressed fish often become aggressive and they get sick easier.

There are fish which can be kept in this tank, fish such as Boraras if your water is soft, or male-only endlers if the water is hard. This is why research before buying fish is so important.
These fish you mentioned can be inbred and spread diseases. I avoid buying these fish because it's too late now. I already got my tetras. Anyways, 20 gallons is large enough for a group of micro-fish such as rasboras, not 10 gallons. I should have never got a 10 gallon in the first place.

Most reactions

Back